project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: refresh rate and maps  (Read 5205 times)

Virtul

refresh rate and maps
« on: March 11, 2006, 03:22:40 pm »
i've just installed new version and have two questions:
how to increase refresh rate from 60hz to 100? in tech demo 1 i hadn't such problem
and about maps, are you guys still planning implement random map generation feature like in original UFO? there is a 270Mb maps folder now and i'm a bit confused...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
refresh rate and maps
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 03:54:20 pm »
You can only get refresh rates up to what your monitor supports at a given resolution. If you want a higher refresh rate, lower the resolution. For example, when running UFO:AI fullscreen at 1024x768, I get a 85Hz refresh because that's the best my monitor can do.

Hoehrer

Re: refresh rate and maps
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 04:05:35 pm »
Quote from: "Virtul"
and about maps, are you guys still planning implement random map generation feature like in original UFO? there is a 270Mb maps folder now and i'm a bit confused...

As far as i've see that random map generator [1] is already in use, but there are also some hand-made one-piece maps .... just don't forget that the map-generator still needs the single parts to piece together the full map.

I hope i wrote this clear enough, since i'm not good at telling others what i know :-/

Werner

[1] i don't know exactly if there _random_ map generator is already in use, but there are alot of maps that use a small file to define what puzzle-pieces shoudl be on the map.... which increases the overall map-count, but isn't really random.

Virtul

refresh rate and maps
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 08:39:53 pm »
my monitor supports 100Hz at 1024x768 and in tech demo 1 at 1024x768 resolution i had 100Hz, now only 60

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
refresh rate and maps
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:47:47 pm »
Maybe it's a video card issue. What video card are you using? I seem to remember some trouble with nVidia cards. I'm using an ATi Radeon 9800Pro myself.

Worst case, you can always play windowed. In wondowed mode, the game uses the same refresh rate as your desktop.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
refresh rate and maps
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:39:35 am »
have a look at the *.ump files in you rmapfolder.
type map +tropicd <assembletype>
where <assembletype> is one of the assembletypes from base/maps/frozend.ump
this way you can generate "random" maps

Virtul

refresh rate and maps
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 11:16:42 pm »
when starting tactic mission in window mode i'm getting black screen and this
ERROR: CL_ParseEvent: timetable overflow
message in console... =(
not sure if its because of window mode or not, but after i've started new game and mission in full screen it worked

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
refresh rate and maps
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:14:09 am »
be sure to check your framerate fullscreen mode

if you are under windows you can also try to set r_displayrefresh to the appropriate value (but keep in mind that this can be dangerous)