project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Usability / Testing Team?  (Read 1906 times)

hermes

Usability / Testing Team?
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »
Hi:

I'm new to this game (just found it yesterday) and precisely because of this I'd like to contact the team about general usability of the game. I know how easy it is to forget what it's like to be a new user when you've been working on something for years. Even playing the game 3 or 4 times makes a person forget what it's like to load it up the first time and what experiences one has.

I am VERY excited about it being a big fan of the original (as I'm sure everyone here is) and I'd love this game to be even more awesome than it currently is. I would love to help out with the initial experience for new players of the game and also around the usability / interface that players experience. Right now it looks like there are a bunch of programmers working on solving problems, and seasoned players that are putting in feature requests, but that there might not be anyone whose dedicated job it is to put the game in front of newbies and see what their experience is.

I'm sure that one of the hopes for the team is that this game is one that will spread out and be used by as many people as possible - and without the type of testing I mention above the game's user base will likely stay small.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Hermes

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Usability / Testing Team?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
Are you a coder offering to implement new features (like interactive tutorials, etc) or just offering advice? The former would be very welcome. The second can be useful, as well, but really everyone's got ideas.

Many of the usability issues will be addressed as we work to implement UI2. That will probably not start until after 2.5 is released, but you'll have an opportunity to comment as that progresses.

Finally, if you're playing 2.4, you should consider using 2.5-dev. There have been some significant improvements in some of the more tedious management processes (equipping soldiers, managing transfers). But save games are not compatible between these versions.

hermes

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:15:35 am »
Nevermind. Good luck with your game!

Verdie7458

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:32:50 am »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:46:05 am by Verdie7458 »