project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: This Game sucks badly.  (Read 8229 times)

FreakY

This Game sucks badly.
« on: September 13, 2006, 10:21:45 am »
Sorry guys, but your game just sucks.
- There are no ingame explanations to anything, building more labs, fabs, etc. doesn't enable to recruit more people.
- Ufos get away allthe time because of their tremendous speed.
- Some missions just produce a black screen where you can't do anything at all and are forced to quit the game.
- Different weapons don't matter, aliens are going down instantly while they pump their ammo into my men and they survive anyway (only friendly fire got them down ^^)
- Meelee weapons don't matter because my soldiers autoshoot everything that comes into range
- Stunner does not work, aliens are dead all the time i stun them.
- Missions are all the same and boooooring after a short period of time, features to auto-mission, speed up the runspeed of soldiers or just enable parallel movement of soldiers are missing.

Overall, for a game so long in development, it just sucks... -.-
Okay, you will tell me to just don't play it anymore when i'm so annoyed, and tell u what: thats exactly what i will do now: uninstall.
Bye folks.

edit: ok, not everything sucks: music is great and graphics are okay.

Kerner

Re: This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:02:38 am »
First of all,some answers to your comments.
Quote from: "FreakY"

- There are no ingame explanations to anything, building more labs, fabs, etc. doesn't enable to recruit more people.

Winning Missions and survive long enough gives you more.

Well,I've intercepted some already.Are you sure,that you used the interceptor and that is was properly equiped?

- Some missions just produce a black screen where you can't do anything at all and are forced to quit the game.

So you want to read this?
http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=476

- Different weapons don't matter, aliens are going down instantly while they pump their ammo into my men and they survive anyway (only friendly fire got them down ^^)
- Meelee weapons don't matter because my soldiers autoshoot everything that comes into range

Right...Just try a new game with "hard" or "very hard".That would satisfy your needs,trust me.

Let me draw your attention to http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=499

- Missions are all the same and boooooring after a short period of time, features to auto-mission, speed up the runspeed of soldiers or just enable parallel movement of soldiers are missing.

Faster walking is also already at the wishlist.Furthermore:you could give a soldier already an instruction while another one is moving.This speeds up a lot.

Finally,let me give you an advice:
Use your energy and experience with this game to contribute.This is not only limited to e.g. moaning,but also posting suggestions,exhaustive testing,but reporting,creating new and better maps,and much more!
Anyone is welcome to join and help.

v29a

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:21:34 pm »
[] you know that ufo is an open source beta
  • you did not read a single thread or wiki / bugtracker entry before posting

Elbenfreund

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:04:08 pm »
  • 100% ack

[ ]further comment needed ;)

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:53:20 pm »
What a sucker...  :roll:

HighXplosive

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:49:15 pm »
I don't care how long this game has been in developement, but if you had half the logic of a pile of castrated salty balls, you'd realise that theres a good reason its called a:

R E L E A S E C A N D I D A T E

Dumbass.

za0

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:58 am »

Okay, you will tell me to just don't play it anymore when i'm so annoyed, and tell u what: thats exactly what i will do now: uninstall.
Bye folks.

Dude, sorry, but you do not have fu..ing idea about xcom and those games. ;-) If you are one of those, who need to be entertained, everything in life becomes boring for you, does it? That game is a remake of some older one. How ever, for sure there are some things, that sucks, but they are working on it.
BTW: You know, it is easy to say "it sucks" - so, dude, make it better ;-)
good nite :-)

Elbenfreund

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 01:23:19 pm »
well, he actualy has a point here. not that he is right but the usual windows / closed source: buy and use mentality might be confused about open source developent processes and terminolgy. Ifour young and charming friend [sic] would have take a look on the sf project site that just clicking on "download" he would have seen that status is "beta".  Even realease ->candidate<- indicates that it is not a ->final<- release. BUT i could immage he is not the only one who only get ->release<-candidate which might lead to some frustration.
 BTW: a simple look on wiki would help as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_candidate

HighXplosive

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 03:53:34 pm »
All the Release Candidates are for Version 2. Version 2 is not the final game. The classification of version is up to the development team to decide. The result is that we have a RC 4 of Version 2. There may be many versions before the game is classed as "finished."

Zako

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 08:51:04 pm »
Quote from: "Kerner"

Well,I've intercepted some already.Are you sure,that you used the interceptor and that is was properly equiped?
[/b]

There is a slight problem there: the interceptor doesn't start, it's always the dropship. I've only managed to shoot down a single ufo, because the dropship is too slow.[/b]

Elbenfreund

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 09:06:15 pm »

There is a slight problem there: the interceptor doesn't start, it's always the dropship. I've only managed to shoot down a single ufo, because the dropship is too slow.

its a known bug in RC4 afaik there is a xdelta patch out there or get a snv snapshot... btw: this has been discussed on the board several times now.
--------------------
HighXplosive:
well, as i tried to point out in my previous posting, it is not about right or wrong. it's about provoking misunderstandings. and a version number like 2.xxx (if im not completly wring v1.X marks the first final, at least in common praxis, doesn't it)as well as the buzzword RELEASEcandidate wihtout a comment on the fact it not the final release can be counter productive.

Offline GIJOE317

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:18:15 pm »
Bye folks.

I know this post is a month old, but......
Okay, I might be new to the game and site, but correct me if I'm wrong....

FreakY
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: This Game sucks badly.

Instead of posting in the bug/error forums, he made one post only to
bash the game.
I'm sure if he posted in the errors forum, all would have been resolved,
and he'd be playing the game along with the rest of us =)

jasmer

This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 12:16:40 am »
Gentlemen (and Ladies?),
The OP was obviously just a drive-by, and of the "satisfy me now!" mentality.  I also doubt he was as much of a fan of the original games as many of you are (and am I), but there are definitely rough edges to many facets of the current project.

Just for starters, I haven't even been able to compile the game in Fedora Core 5 - so I can't even <try> to play it.  I've been trying every so often to get this working by hand (make), with almost no success whatsoever.  Trying to step through the process described at http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=797 , http://ufo.myexp.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17  , or http://ufo.myexp.de/wiki/index.php/Compile_for_Linux
 - eventually ends up in failure apparently due to missing components, such as the GL renderer error.  Of course, that's hardly a surprise given that work seems to be Debian/Ubuntu & so forth.

I'm not pretending to be anything resembling a guru - recompiling a kernel to use my nVidia card is about the extent of my Linux mastery at this point.  I'd be happy to attempt to contribute, though I doubt I'd be much use.  But is there any chance that the more simplistic methods to use with Fedora (i.e. Livna) might be used for the final version?  I absolutely despise the prospect that I'd have to run it under Windows...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
This Game sucks badly.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 09:27:24 am »
the current trunk (development-) version is using a autoconf buildsystem.

3 steps:
Code: [Select]
./configure
make
./ufo

of course you have to install all the needed dev packages (which should be in fedora).

you can also use the rpm packages dimstar created (see the news) and try them with fedora.