Technical support > Linux

Debian: compiling maps and producing identical files

<< < (3/5) > >>

geever:

--- Quote from: O01eg on August 21, 2013, 09:52:23 am ---What if the server send maps to clients? Then the map on the server and clients will be same.

--- End quote ---

It is a good idea for custom maps. But doesn't solve the problem. Our prebuilt packages should be compatible. People download ~1.2G for the game then they should download again each map on each different servers they play on (at worst case)...

-geever

apo:
I have compiled the maps again, this time with more parallel jobs but the best I can do with a Core Duo with 4 GB RAM is 4,5 hours so far.

Though I still get different md5sums for the *.bsp files.

Sandro:
Current map compliler is mathematically unstable, so resulting .bsp depends on gcc flags used to compile it, CPU used, number of threads and other factors. So it is hopeless to get identical bsps with it.

Somebody tried to make a Java-based compiler, which theoretically should give identical results on every platform, if strategically peppered with strictfp modifier, but this work was abandonned long ago.
Or someone in future may be willing to rewrite the compiler into the fixed point  :P

Mattn:
we once used -ffloat-store - but it was slower: link

O01eg:

--- Quote from: geever on August 21, 2013, 12:07:23 pm ---People download ~1.2G for the game then they should download again each map on each different servers they play on (at worst case)...
-geever

--- End quote ---

It is better than impossibility to play between different server and clients.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version