project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: *sigh* where to begin?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline android

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
*sigh* where to begin?
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:46:41 pm »
Well, I really love the concept of updating X-com into the 2000's while keeping the same feel, but it's been nothing but a catastrophe for me.
I got stable version, and before installing, I AV scanned it. Avast locked up(first time ever) and I was forced to shutdown.
Deleted installer and tried again, no scan this time. Installer took it's time to pop up, but it seemed to work after that.
Rebooted, tried game, all was very smooth.. until I started a mission.
Took 5 minutes to load the Tropical drug loader, 10 minutes to finish loading and 10 more to enter game.
When zoomed in, scrolling is fine. Zoomed out (10 fps), more jittery than popeye after stroke.
Alien AI takes it's sweet ass time, too.
All settings nerfed, windowed mode, AV off.. nothing helps :(

Been searching to find how to paste console on here, I give up. It says no descrpition for ui keybinding
If anyone can actually try to clear the air I'd be more than greatful, it's such a great game

Edit - Oh and my pc specs are.. Toshiba equium, Win7 ult 32 bit, Intel pentium duo core T2310, 2gb ram, Mobile intel 965 express graphics.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:54:41 pm by android »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: *sigh* where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:54 am »
I'm not much of a hardware person, but it sounds like you might be on the lower end of supported hardware, so things will definitely run slowly. I used to run on an old laptop (similar RAM, but just one core processor) and the key was disabling everything in the video settings. Turn off all glsl shader components, turn off material settings, turn off glow maps and coronas. Lower the resolution. And of course, make sure you're not running anything else at the same time. I've never had problems with Avast, but if it's actively scanning while you're playing it will slow things down.

If you find your FPS are find again and want to restore some graphics features, the glsl shaders are usually the big bottleneck (in my experience, at least).

Offline android

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: *sigh* where to begin?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:55:32 am »
I'm not much of a hardware person, but it sounds like you might be on the lower end of supported hardware

Yup. Definately hardware related. Tryed the latest build after disabling everything to no avail.

Just found out on-board intel accelerators are the worst integrated chipsets for gaming. Strange, because I can run Rise of nations, diablo 3 and nfs most wanted just fine..

Trust me to find a laptop incapable of gaming lol