project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: spanish (of spain) variant (es_ES.po)  (Read 2631 times)

papabob

spanish (of spain) variant (es_ES.po)
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:36:18 pm »
I've just created a new po file with the spanish (of Spain) versión of the translation, made from scratch (read more about this here).

I think i've translated half of the en.po, basically short phrases that appears ingame, avoiding everything that could came from the wiki.

There is a copy here and a compiled ufoai.mo here. If you want to test it, just overwrite the .mo that appears in your LC_MESSAGES directory with this one.

All comments, discussions and corrections are welcomed, of course  :P

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 11:17:03 pm »
it would be cool if you could do it on the wiki - we have a scriptfile that would always take the latest wiki articles and update the po files - you only have to translate the menu string and some other stuff - the ufopedia texts (the *_txt stuff) should be translated in our wiki (see the msgid article)

papabob

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:36:06 pm »
There is a problem with that: if I start traslating the wiki, in-game strings may (and will) differ with the descriptions, because the actual es.po is "es_latin" and I will translate wiki in "es_ES".

In this situation, for example, you would equip your soldier with "lentes infrarrojas" (the .po string for ir goggles) but the same device in ufopedia will be known as "gafas de visíon nocturna" (from the wiki), driving to gamer confusion.

I see two solutions:
- Reset the actual es.po and start from scratch. Unfair, because it throws to trash all the work already done by the actual es.po translator.

- duplicate columns in the wiki, as if it was a whole new language and create a new po file. This have some advantages, as one text translated in one column can be fast "localized" to the other language. Disavantages: maybe a wiki system doesn't scale well if a lot of new languages has to be added (now we have 12 translations, how would look the msgid page with 40 columns?)

The ideal solution would be omit all the po-editing and put every string in the wiki, but i don't know if it is possible at all.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:54:08 pm »
well - create a new column in the wiki - if your texts should not go into es.po but es_ES that's the best solution - because we can auto update the po files with a script. this way even others can contribute, too