project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Recent healing commit  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Recent healing commit
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:16 pm »
I saw a recent commit removed the ablity to heal soldiers who aren't "wounded". Does this mean we can no longer perform a heal once on someone who took damage but didn't start bleeding? I considered that a feature rather than a bug.

Frankly I hear people talking about soldiers going through 100 missions and laugh. My best have seen 40 out of the 100+ missions I've done and that was with a lot of scumming to keep the vets alive. My the mortality rate of my soldiers is very high and the gains in experience are very slow. Combine that with how many soldiers I get each month and training veterans and bothering to keep them alive is looking less and less possible and less and less strategically important. I could just throw new recruits in to every mission and not care how many die and get through the game a lot faster but that doesn't seem like it would be as fun. On the other hand, retrying the same mission a dozen times so I don't loose more than half my vets isn't fun either.

I like the changes to healing overall but I'm wondering if this is starting to go too far.

Offline krilain

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Recent healing commit
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:33 pm »
(...)to keep them alive is looking less and less possible and less and less strategically important.
If confirmd in the next steps this would sound bad.
I'm also one guy that loves his vets. Moreover making the vets useful brings a slight rpg touch always appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:18:07 pm by krilain »

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:33:08 am »
Somehow I missed this thread before.

I saw a recent commit removed the ablity to heal soldiers who aren't "wounded". Does this mean we can no longer perform a heal once on someone who took damage but didn't start bleeding? I considered that a feature rather than a bug.
In theory you should never have had the ability to treat a non bleeding soldier, but the commit you are referring to should not remove that ability (at least not intentionally), it only prevents 'healing' of characters that haven't received damage or have had all their damage (be it a serious wound or a scratch) already treated so you don't waste TU and ammo

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:50 am »
Ahhh. Excellent.

They way it seems to work is that you can treat a soldier who has taken damage once if they aren't bleeding and this seems to work nicely. It's pretty rare to take damage and not get wounded but it can useful in combination with heavily armored soldiers against spray weapons.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:17:15 am »
I know, I say in theory it shouldn't be possible, because that wasn't in the original specs, but in practice it was easier this way, and I figured that if you can heal a serious wound a scratch shouldn't be a problem, so I left it in as an 'undocumented feature' of sorts
With that commit I was thinking more of someone clicking the wrong soldier, or trying to heal a stunned alien for capture, or just failing to realize the soldier was already healed, wasting 20TU and one of the precious few medikit charges seemed a little harsh for those situations