project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Missing update tool + gpu usage  (Read 2550 times)

Offline NocLQ3V7

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Missing update tool + gpu usage
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »
First, thank you from this magnificent project, truly amazing that you offer this huge game for free :)

Now I did read that there should be a way to update 2.5 dev version that I downloaded to latest nightly by startmenu option, however I have not seen that option and I could not find any update utility from UFO program folder either, this I found to be the case in two machines that I installed it.

I think my version is Nov 1st, has update tool removed or is there error on my end?

Second thing I did notice was that I'm getting bit lower performance of what I would except, CPU Core 1 at 90% and Core 2 at 20-30%, GPU usage around 50-60%, it seems not to go above those numbers but changing graphics settings does affect how well battlescape runs.

Very old hardware with WinXP:
Core 2 Duo E6750
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512 with 304.79 beta driver (need this driver to one another project to run flawlessly)

With search I did found many interesting things, but not quite answer to these questions, however I suspect there been some discussion about these, but I failed to find any of such, so, sorry if things are often brought up.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Missing update tool + gpu usage
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 02:49:16 am »
Official installers don't have any update tool, you might be talking about Muton's tool which does have an updater, but looking at the last posts, you might want to wait until he provides a new full installer, also you might be able to use the binaries-only nightly, but be warned that things will break if there are changes to the data files.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:15:03 am by DarkRain »

Offline NocLQ3V7

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:20:43 am »
Official installers don't have any update tool, you might be talking about Muton's tool which does have an updater, but looking at the last posts, you might want to wait until he provides a new full installer, also you might be able to use the binaries-only nightly, but be warned that things will break if there are changes to the data files.

Oh yeah, upon closer inspection I see it is Muton's tool that I got impression of there being updater:
http://ufoai.org/forum/index.php/topic,6302.0.html

I did go ahead and download + compile source, bit over 24 hours as my internet is so slow, did not take very long to compile actually, using this information was helpful there:
http://ufoai.org/wiki/index.php/MinGW_Win32_(guided_with_GUI)

Download size around 6GB total :P

With O2 and SSE3s optimizations (and rest for Core2Duo) I find UFO:AI has bit more fps, but CPU and GPU usage are still not much higher, even performance is bit better/more constant, either taskman is showing cpu usage wrong and cpu is limiting factor or then from some unknown reason UFO:AI is not using full computing power, I need to do some more tests to find out how it is.

edit: After quite bit of testing, it seems that now with self compiled version I get constantly good performance without fps dropping to 20's or below, actually fps seems to be capped 43 or 47 (varies a bit for some reason) so that is why cpu and gpu usage is less. What I find out also is that CPU usage seem to be tad lower now with compiled version than what it was with standard nightly and gpu usage is tad higher, but difference is really small and can easily fit to margin of error too, but performance is completely different, I guess that is efficiency in works then.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:31:41 am by NocLQ3V7 »

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:36:20 pm »
FPS is capped -- by cl_maxpfs cvar IIRC, with default value of  50. You can increase it, but there is also the hardcoded value of 250 FPS which cannot be overcome (to avoid Starcraft 2 -- type incidents).