project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Dropship/Fighter Contribution  (Read 31306 times)

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
  • GUI designer, web-developer, 3D artist.
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
Dropship/Fighter Contribution
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:10 pm »
After some unappealing designs, I come to this one, made in 3 hours.

Design isn't sci-fi opera, but 2084 tech style, if you approve that.

Idea was top secret project of nations to experimental stealth fighter/dropship. It'll carry 6 PHALANX fighters and 2(or 1 pilot, if 2 is overkill). It's better than stilleto and, kinda, close, but not very, to Dragon class. But all that is just my idea, ballance work is for you, people.

UPDATE

As promised, Updated. I finished unwrapping (wheef, it's always taking so much time... and it's so much fun, to play LEGO with all maps I made). Tomorrow I'll start drawing textures, so for today, it's enugh.

I, as well, did optimizing and managed to make interior-less model to 498 tris and landed one - to 568 tris. As well, I made very low-poly one too, for geoscope. 246 tris. (green one)

Ah, I did landed one just like it's needed. I even, somehow, managed to fit in all textures... thought, interior will be, kinda, low-quality textured, but, oh well - it still be gonna good ;D.

As well, right after I'll finish texturing, I'll make, as well crashed craft one too.

After drop-ship, I'm planing onto alien tank (that last one on legs), if no one will stop me. As well I want to discuss some other design things, but all must by one by one, not all together. Let's finish one topic, at begin.

Or, may be, I should remade that awful Heracles drop-ship? hm? I, actually, have nice concept idea to heavy transporter, with realistic non - sci-fi design, and, as well, much much cutter XD.

UPDATE

So far, so good. Texturing is long time work, but it's funny to watch, how work take some awesome shape.

I'm making 1024 texture, and it look good, so far. Still, if using 512, as in comparison example, it's pretty blur. Dunno, but I want moar power of engine :P.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:41:14 pm by Anderty »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dropship/Fighter Contribution
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 07:24:20 pm »
I think it would just perfect for Hyperion.

The campaign doesn't support more than one pilots per craft, so we should stick to one.

-geever

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »
Yeah, very promising shape. Can you show some more with interior, etc? Just so you know, we'll need two types of models:

1. A complete model with (preferably) not too many polys for flying around the geoscape.

2. A 2-part model that allows us to hide one part to show the soldier interior (see how the firebird is done).

I can do some texturing work if you're not good at it, but I would at a minimum need it to be unwrapped elegantly.

(other positives: shapes look easy to create no-clips for in radiant, looks like a nice reasonable size to fit on a dropship tile, yes to the 2084 tech and not sci-fi opera).

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
Very cool!

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:10 am »
Cool model. I am into 3d models, too. May I know what program have you used? I cannot find any reliable program able to export the files to .md2 apart from that horrible fragMOTION! I can use the Sketchup quite well, but I have no idea how to export the files in an usable format...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:12:55 am by Latino210 »

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:24:15 am »
Yeah, very promising shape. Can you show some more with interior, etc? Just so you know, we'll need two types of models:

1. A complete model with (preferably) not too many polys for flying around the geoscape.

2. A 2-part model that allows us to hide one part to show the soldier interior (see how the firebird is done).

I can do some texturing work if you're not good at it, but I would at a minimum need it to be unwrapped elegantly.

(other positives: shapes look easy to create no-clips for in radiant, looks like a nice reasonable size to fit on a dropship tile, yes to the 2084 tech and not sci-fi opera).

I'll do first one tomorrow.

'bout texturing - nah, I'm master of all digital trades, except, pure art, so I'll handle it XD. Just wait day or 2, and you'll see ;D.

I think it would just perfect for Hyperion.

The campaign doesn't support more than one pilots per craft, so we should stick to one.

-geever

I thought so. Ok, let it be so! One master pilot should be good enough too!

Cool model. I am into 3d models, too. May I know what program have you used? I cannot find any reliable program able to export the files to .md2 apart from that horrible fragMOTION! I can use the Sketchup quite well, but I have no idea how to export the files in an usable format...

Used - almighty Blender (I prefer it to 3D's max, but max should be good too. Still, blender warms my heart much more :D).
'bout exporting - I'll gather knowledge 'bout exporting right after I'll finish texturing, when I'll have ready model for doing so. So, wait till that time, and I'll share any Intel, I'll gather. May be, there's some plugins for Blender, but, I think, 3D's max 86% of chance, that he has proper plugin for such exporting maneuvers.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:30:31 am by Anderty »

Offline Latino210

• Squad Leader
  • UFORadiant mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:47 am »
All right, thanks. If I was in you I would be sure to be able to export the finished file before doing the design. Can you imagine the pain at the though of having created a good model and having no way to make it work ongame?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:31:16 am »
blender should come with an exporter (just make sure to only export one frame - otherwise the mesh will get really big without any animation)

3dsmax: we have maxscripts in our repo to export from 3dsmax

see our wiki

but now the more important part: I like this model and i agree with geever - it could be perfect as the hyperion.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:35 am »
Nice work on the two-part model. Simple, clear interior that will be easy to integrate into the battlescape's grid system.

One request for the interior texturing: since this will be a fighter/dropship, can you draw onto the walls some straps or something that could be used to strap the soldiers in? I imagine they'd get tossed around pretty bad in the back while the pilot is dogfighting if they didn't have some way to anchor to the walls.

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »
Nice work on the two-part model. Simple, clear interior that will be easy to integrate into the battlescape's grid system.

One request for the interior texturing: since this will be a fighter/dropship, can you draw onto the walls some straps or something that could be used to strap the soldiers in? I imagine they'd get tossed around pretty bad in the back while the pilot is dogfighting if they didn't have some way to anchor to the walls.

Funny thing, I thought so too, that's why I already working on that :D.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »
When you edit a post we don't get any notice that it's been changed. Please add your images and comments to a new post or we're likely to miss it.

1024x1024 is our preferred size for an aircraft. If you want to work at 2048x2048 that's fine too, although we'll rescale when it goes into the game.

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 07:25:52 pm »
When you edit a post we don't get any notice that it's been changed. Please add your images and comments to a new post or we're likely to miss it.

1024x1024 is our preferred size for an aircraft. If you want to work at 2048x2048 that's fine too, although we'll rescale when it goes into the game.

Noted.

I beginn work with 1024, so, don't wan't to change it for more. As well, I think, as it is now - it's more than enough.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 07:28:16 pm »
I wonder why nobody mentioned your lovely avatar yet.

Seems everybody is only looking at those pretty aircraft models here.  ;D

Offline Anderty

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • anmeyro.net
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:41 pm »
I wonder why nobody mentioned your lovely avatar yet.

Seems everybody is only looking at those pretty aircraft models here.  ;D

http://wen-m.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:16 pm »
OH GOD, I CANT WAIT TO SEE THAT MODEL FINISHED!!!