project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Alien Capture  (Read 9329 times)

Offline Lebo77

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Alien Capture
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:37:55 am »
OK, I think I am doing everything right, but I am not seeing any aliens showing up in my Containment Facility.  I researched the Stun rod, and go into a mission where I stun a Taman.  After I win the mission the screen at the end lists one alien captured.  However when the team gets back to base, the containment facility shows no live aliens, and no new research options. 

What's going on here?

I am playing the latest 2.5dev build.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Alien Capture
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:10:45 am »
OK, I think I am doing everything right, but I am not seeing any aliens showing up in my Containment Facility.  I researched the Stun rod, and go into a mission where I stun a Taman.  After I win the mission the screen at the end lists one alien captured.  However when the team gets back to base, the containment facility shows no live aliens, and no new research options. 

What's going on here?

I am playing the latest 2.5dev build.

Q: The alien containment is on the same base the dropship was sent from?

Please attach a savegame so we can check.

-geever
-geever

Offline Lebo77

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:46 am »
Yes.

I would send along a save, but I am traveling for work for the next couple of days. I am installing UFO: AI on my laptop as I type this and will see if I can replicate it later in the week.

But from the sounds of it I should be seeing aliens in the tank?

Offline Xeinar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
I am experiencing the same: stun rod researched, alien containment in the same base of the dropship, alien captured (taman or sheevar), still no alien to interrogate (or whatever) in the research, no alive alien in the containment area.
Playing with 2.5 dev, in case can you tell me exactly what file is needed for examination? I tried to find the savegame file but I can't find it.

Apart from that: is it needed to dump dead bodies from the base? I mean, in the original X-Com they used base space; I don't understand if here it is the same and how to dump them, in case.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »
I am experiencing the same: stun rod researched, alien containment in the same base of the dropship, alien captured (taman or sheevar), still no alien to interrogate (or whatever) in the research, no alive alien in the containment area.

Tried to reproduce it but here "Live Alien" research was opened, and the containment has the captured aliens.

Playing with 2.5 dev, in case can you tell me exactly what file is needed for examination? I tried to find the savegame file but I can't find it.

The savegame and ufoconsole.log of a session when you brought home live alien would be useful (ufoconsole.log is overwritten by default on every run)

The location of these files described in our FAQ, you may need to enable some "Show hidden files" function of your file manager to see the directory.

Apart from that: is it needed to dump dead bodies from the base? I mean, in the original X-Com they used base space; I don't understand if here it is the same and how to dump them, in case.

No, they don't take space. Probably we will remove counting dead bodies later, they have no real use.

-geever

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:49:08 pm »
Regarding this, is it possible to actually shoot an alien with normal gun and stun him this way? Not sure if it was a bug or not, but during one mission two unarmored tamans started close to me, with their backs turned toward me. I took one soldier and gave nearest one double charge with stun rod that stunned him, then the other one got full auto from machine gun, and it stunned him too.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:26 pm »
In 2.5 I'm quite sure I captured a Sheevar alive at one point and I'm pretty sure it got sent back to containment. The number of aliens in containment is right but they are all listed as Taman. I would write this off as bad memory on my part except that during base invasion I saw a Sheevar and a Taman in the Containment. One of each, a bit odd considering I do have more Taman in Containement.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 11:28:45 pm »
Actually collected aliens don't show up in the containment during the battle. it is a static map part.

-geever

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:55 pm »
Have you research dead aliens yet? You need to get their breathing device done through researching dead aliens before you can keep a live alien alive in you containment. I lost a few before I relealized this is what needs to be done

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:27 am »
I thought you couldn't research stun rods until you got the breathing aparatus researched.

Offline Xeinar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:20:53 am »
Ok, I've got an update. I just stunned an alien, and this time I checked in the base as soon as the dropship came back: the live alien is in the containment area (and I just startedthe research). Usually I wait for another research to finish before checking for the live alien, so now I'm guessing if after sometime the alien dies in the containment anyway.

Ah, by the way: yes, I've researched the breathing device, and only after the stun rod was available.

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 01:39:36 am »
I think they die if you bring them in WITHOUT the breathing tech (technically possible, I've stunned aliens without using specialized equipment, it's some kind of crit or armor or morale thing). Mine have been alive for months, they just sit and stare at the walls while we try to teach them intelligence again.

I'm still wondering about these gas grenades. They get mentioned in game and you can see them in MP but none are actually available.

Offline CriticalFumble

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:55:16 am »
I saw something like this in 2.4 using the stun rod as well.  My personal experience was:

-Research stun rods.
-Read the research report, noticed that it was supposed to be a two handed weapon. 
-Made one and fixed a soldier load out for alien capture. 
-In battle realized that my soldier could use the stun fire modes with his pistol still in the other hand. 
-Tried it, result: "alien was stunned".
-Checked containment after the dropship returned, contents: none.
-Wave hands in the air in furry. 
-Try again, see previous three steps. 
-Chucked stun rod in storage where it collected dust. 
-Thought about it for a while, tired again without anything in the soldier's other hand. 
-"alien was stunned"
-Checked containment after the dropship returned, contents: DING! "You've got live alien!"

Maybe the stun rod should have whatever makes rifles, ect, unusable while something is in the other hand?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 04:03:24 am »
I think they die if you bring them in WITHOUT the breathing tech (technically possible, I've stunned aliens without using specialized equipment, it's some kind of crit or armor or morale thing).
Indeed they'll die if you don't research the breathing apparatus, as for stunning aliens with normal weapons, must be the crashed UFOs, some aliens will spawn with normal and/or stun damage, shooting them might cause them to fall unconscious.

I'm still wondering about these gas grenades. They get mentioned in game and you can see them in MP but none are actually available.
There are gas grenades, but they are later tech.

-Wave hands in the air in furry.
??? :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:06:34 am by DarkRain »

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 04:20:50 am »
-In battle realized that my soldier could use the stun fire modes with his pistol still in the other hand. 
Maybe the stun rod should have whatever makes rifles, ect, unusable while something is in the other hand?

Both are true. There are two things about holding a weapon, does it need two hands to hold (rocket launcher, some heavy weapons) and does it need two hands to use (yes for rifles and such, no for pistols, medkits, grenades and knives).

So being able to use it with a pistol is a feature of the rod and pistol, not a bug and you would be unable to fire a held rifle with the rod out.

I've brought in all my aliens with something held in main hand. I can think of two things that might have happened to you: A) You selected cancel instead of a base to send aliens to. Also I think they are transported by shipping like transfers and not with the dropship. B) The alien you stunned died before the battle ended or woke up and got killed. You can prevent both by using Heal (to stop any bleeding) and Stimulants which are actually Sedatives when used on enemies and have the opposite effect... assuming that part is implemented yet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:25:47 am by Anarch Cassius »