project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: End of game after taking an alien base  (Read 5825 times)

Offline dm_pindu

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
End of game after taking an alien base
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »
Hi everybody.

I'm playing the complete campaign at 2.4. I still have projects to investigate, but I have found an alien base. When I take it, the game finishes with a congratulation message. Is this OK?

Loading the game before taking the base, I have kept on investigating, letting the alien base untouched. Now I have three bases in the map (one of them very close to my principal base) and taking any of them makes the game ends. It's a little annoying.  ;D

My question: Can I do something to destroy these bases? And is there any other way of ending (successfully) the game?

Also I have some investigation projects that seems to be bugged because their descriptions are empty (i.e. Heracles platform). And another project about hostile humans, but no human attacks me in the missions.

If these are regular bugs of 2.4, would you recommend me to install 2.5-dev if they are fixed on it?

Thanks a lot for this awesome game.
Best regards.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: End of game after taking an alien base
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:39 pm »
In 2.4, the only way to successfully end a campaign is to destroy a base. The 2.5 campaign extends beyond this so you can kill multiple bases.

The other research issues sound like missing content, not bugs. There's still a lot left to be implemented.

Installing 2.5 is recommended, but I'm not sure it will change much for your late save game. Most of the events have already triggered. But if you feel like starting a new game, I would recommend it.

Offline dm_pindu

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:24:51 pm »
Thanks, I think I will start a new game with 2.5, maybe with a higher difficult level.  :D

Regards.

Offline Thurak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 04:29:15 pm »
The 2.5 campaign extends beyond this so you can kill multiple bases.

Yeeeeeeeeeeees!

I recently started yet another game. The game before that I ignored the base for quiet some time (for some techs and of course fun). That i don't have to do that anymore is awesome!

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:45:53 am »
Sorry to be a coal nut. :-[

I know that it is written above, but just in case...

Does somebody confirm that in v2.4, attacking an alien base is game over ?

I don't want to restart a new game now and for ten days IG, I have only built a blockade around it with SAM sites to collect supply ships, having read this thread a few weeks ago.

Also, do you confirm that if I switch to v2.5 before attacking this first base, it will be safe to keep on fighting ? I am currently researching Herakles, Alien Strategy and PB Rifle, and has a 0% IVX, to let you know what has already triggered.

Thank you.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:58:44 am »
Yes, in 2.4 if you win an alien base mission the game will end.

In 2.5 the game will continue, but I'm not entirely sure if that will be the case when you take your save over. It's POSSIBLE that since the base has already been placed that the onwin scripting has already been tied to any future mission. But it's worth testing. Download 2.5, install it, try it out, but keep your save for 2.4 just in case.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 08:51:16 am »
As the 'heavy' skill was essentially removed in 2.5-dev, you will have to take a closer look at your soldiers equipment when switching from 2.4 to 2.5-dev.

Offline Rodmar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »
Thanks,

For those wondering, I'm precising that the game launched correctly with 2.4 saves, but I ended to restart a new campaign because of the new encumbrance calculation. On the next mission, half my troop were barely capable to use their weapon (an old habit of stuffing troops with grenades, ammo and secondary weapons). As I was unsure that they didn't lack some experience in skills too, I chose the wiser way. Sorry for not having conducted the investigation a bit further.