project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOAI doesn't start - VirtualBox Windows XP machine (Linux Mint Maya)  (Read 5799 times)

Offline algoldor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Hi to all,
I have installed UFOAI 2.4 on my Windows XP machine (Oracle VirtualBox) and when I try to start it it gives me this error message (whole process):

>>>>>>>

---- endianness initialization -----
found little endian system

---- filesystem initialization -----
Adding game dir: /usr/local/games/ufoai/base
Adding game dir: ./base
Added packfile ./base/0base.pk3 (15 files)
Added packfile ./base/0maps.pk3 (740 files)
Added packfile ./base/0materials.pk3 (57 files)
Added packfile ./base/0media.pk3 (11 files)
Added packfile ./base/0models.pk3 (2346 files)
Added packfile ./base/0music.pk3 (46 files)
Added packfile ./base/0pics.pk3 (1056 files)
Added packfile ./base/0shaders.pk3 (37 files)
Added packfile ./base/0snd.pk3 (354 files)
Added packfile ./base/0textures.pk3 (1767 files)
Added packfile ./base/0ufos.pk3 (109 files)
Adding game dir: C:\Documents and Settings\algoldor\Application Data\UFOAI/2.4/base
using C:\Documents and Settings\algoldor\Application Data\UFOAI/2.4/base for writing
executing filesystem.cfg
executing default.cfg
couldn't execute config.cfg

----- network initialization -------
libcurl/7.25.0 GnuTLS/3.0.17 zlib/1.2.6 libidn/1.24 libssh2/1.4.0 initialized.

------ server initialization -------
added 8 maps to the mapcycle

----- console initialization -------
Console initialized.

------- video initialization -------
SDL version: 1.2.15
I: desktop depth: 32bpp
I: video memory: 0
I: Available resolutions: 1600x1200 1280x1024 1152x864 1024x768 800x600 640x480 (6)
I: video driver: windib
I: setting mode -1
I: set multisample buffers to 0
I: set swap control to 0
I: 1024x768 (fullscreen: yes)
I: got 8 bits of stencil
I: got 32 bits of depth buffer
I: got double buffer
I: got 8 bits for red
I: got 8 bits for green
I: got 8 bits for blue
I: got 0 bits for alpha
I: got 1 multisample buffers
GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
GL_VERSION: 1.1.0
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
No hardware acceleration detected.
Update your graphic card drivers.
FS_RemoveFile: remove C:\Documents and Settings\algoldor\Application Data\UFOAI/2.4/base/keys.cfg
There are still 1 opened files

Shutdown

>>>>>>>

If anyone could tell me what shall I do to make it working that would be really appreciated. By the way I tried to Install it on the Linux Mint Directly Maya but not a chance, the game would start but froze within 10 secs.

Sincerely,

FA

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: UFOAI doesn't start - VirtualBox Windows XP machine (Linux Mint Maya)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:09:05 pm »
GL_VENDOR: Microsoft Corporation
GL_RENDERER: GDI Generic
GL_VERSION: 1.1.0
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture
No hardware acceleration detected.
Update your graphic card drivers.

Shutdown
Install a official driver of your graphic card manufacturer, do not use the Microsoft Drivers.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:34:39 am »
Install a official driver of your graphic card manufacturer, do not use the Microsoft Drivers.

Well, it can be tricky if using VirtualBox because it provides a virtual videocard, but you can try this:

* Enable 2D, 3D video acceleration and give some memory to the videocard in the VM config.
* Install VirtualBox Guest additions package which provides drivers for the virtual hardware

I hope this will work - but why do you need a VM? Native code would be faster and could use all the features of your vcard.

-geever

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:57:03 am »
Well, it can be tricky if using VirtualBox because it provides a virtual videocard, but you can try this:
-geever

Oh okay, that was unknown to me. Somehow i read over that virtual box thing - sry.

Offline algoldor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:14:57 am »
Oh okay, that was unknown to me. Somehow i read over that virtual box thing - sry.

If you do not mind I will answer to all three previous posts first and I have a another question which is at the bottom of the post.

First of all Geevers suggestion worked for me, it was the most easy to fallow. I enabled the 2D and 3D video acceleration, dedicating 128 Mb of memory which did not work by itself. I therefore Installed VirtualBox Guest additions and I was in the game. The game started, another problem emerged see at the end of the post.

I tried also Crystan's suggestion about installing the official driver for my graphic card, info here:

description: VGA compatible controller
                product: GT218 [GeForce 205]
                vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: a2
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_li

but I had a really hard time to find it - I did not have to do anything like that for many years because of using Linux and not playing games, so I'm out of shape and I gave up after few hours ...

To both Crystan and Geever - the Virtual Box is great from the point of view that you have your Windows installation completely under the control it can not do any harm (well it is Windows so I'm sure some dangers prevail but nothing compared to the usual state of affairs when the Windows are the main Operational System). In short I deeply dislike Windows avoiding the word "hate" just because of the believe in the better world :-) I do not use Windows for more than 5 years and I feel that my life is much better because of that.

PROBLEM NUMBER 2
I started the game and got to the menu. There I have realized that my mouse cursor became "highly intoxicated" wondering all over the place. The buttons still works and if I take minute or two I generally manage to hit the desired location (option) but it is horrible procedure. When I zoom out of the window to the surrounding VirtualMachine environment the cursor moves absolutely fine. So do you know what can be the cause and how to fix it?

Many thanks for the help, I guess another week or two and I will be able to join you in the "gaming frenzy".

Sincerely,

FA

Offline algoldor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:19:43 am »
Hi to all,
Sorted! I have "disabled mouse integration" on the VirtualBox Machine and it works, the cursor moves as it should.
Time to play, thanks a lot for help!

Sincerely,

FA