project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New wound and healing system on 2.5-dev  (Read 12808 times)

Offline Thurak

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: New wound and healing system on 2.5-dev
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:23 pm »
If you keep it more or less as it is then two things must be done, IMO: A few more soldiers at game start and a better hospital.
In game I often need two charges of a medkit to treat one wound, if that's WAD five charges in total for a medkit are a bit to few, I think.

I like the wound system very much, just a bit of tweaking and it will be great.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:21:40 pm »
[...]there is a lot of stunned(wounded) aliens in usual fight.[...]
Does that mean they fall unconscious simply by shooting them? That doesn't seems right (and doesn't happen for me)

If you keep it more or less as it is then two things must be done, IMO: A few more soldiers at game start and a better hospital.
In game I often need two charges of a medkit to treat one wound, if that's WAD five charges in total for a medkit are a bit to few, I think.

I like the wound system very much, just a bit of tweaking and it will be great.
I adjusted the healing rates 4 days ago (effectively doubling the hospital healing speed), of course a lot of balancing is still needed...

Offline plenty

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »
I always liked the temporary HP idea.
1 bar, with HP foreground, and 2 background colors, one real, and another for Temporary Health Points.

Combat starts with:
Temp_HP:= Max_HP
Both take damage.

Temp HP can be healed with MedKits, up to 2x Current_HP (but not more than Max_HP).

Soldier loses Current_HP AND Temp_HP when Temp_HP are not at the maximum (2*Current_HP or Max_HP, whichever is less).
The bleed tp Current_HP is equal to  (Temp_HP divided by maximum allowed Temp_HP) *(scalable, for instance 100).
Half that damage is dealt to Temp_HP (so that minor bleeding can actually stop on its own).

What do you think?

Corrected crappy demo of the bar:
(different formula, but same basic idea, stun bar included)
http://plenty.w.interia.pl/hpbar/

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:12:14 pm by plenty »

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:12 pm »
I know the team is being understandably cautious about using ideas from the X-com games and games inspired by them but would the system for recording health used in the UFO:After#### games be useful in that you have a health bar for your soldier, then depending on what weapon hits the soldier the green portion of the bar decreases and in the new space you get a red and a black portion of the bar.  The red portion being hits that can be recovered by medkit, black can only be recovered in a hospital.  if the soldier is hit again then depending on the damage type again the black will extend further reducing the overall damage recoverable in the field as well as the usual addition of recoverable damage.

Effectively the soldier will need 3 health variables in mission, Maximum health, Recoverable Health and a temporary Current Health.  In geoscape the current health is irrelevant so can be safely dropped and time in hospital incrementally improves Recoverable health until it matches Maximum Health.  This way a soldier that gets badly shot up will take ages in hospital but one who only take a few light plasma burns will be out fairly quickly.

Also instead of beefing up the hospitals directly would it be more useful to add hospital improvement research and/or be able to purchase equipment/supplies for them. 

The supplies route might be useful for balance if early in the war they are plentiful and easily obtained by the player but limit the resupply of the market so as the war goes on, especially if the player uses the supplies over heavily they will find that they have to produce the supplies which takes time and restricts access while not preventing their use.  Basically early on a player can get wounded soldiers battle ready quickly but later on when soldiers are more readily available it can take longer without a little management.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
I ran the update, says Aug 3rd version in console, but I'm not seeing a new wound system - I get hit and lose hitpoints, use a medkit and get the hp back, just like before?!?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 07:29:03 pm »
I ran the update, says Aug 3rd version in console, but I'm not seeing a new wound system - I get hit and lose hitpoints, use a medkit and get the hp back, just like before?!?

Maybe you're on another branch? Or you fetch but not merge? you should use git pull --rebase if so.

-geever

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:18 pm »
Maybe you're on another branch? Or you fetch but not merge? you should use git pull --rebase if so.

-geever

I've only updated with fetch. I'm not really familiar with git, and it was my understanding that if I only use fetch and then rebuild with make I'm always running master, not any branch? git pull --rebase returns Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
Please commit or stash them.

Nokim

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »
Does that mean they fall unconscious simply by shooting them? That doesn't seems right (and doesn't happen for me)
Yes. Not too often but i have got enough them to fill alien contamination unit several times. Sometimes they die from wounds before fight is over. In that case they are not counted as killed in stats (hoverer message in combat say so - Alien killed)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:59 pm »
I've only updated with fetch. I'm not really familiar with git, and it was my understanding that if I only use fetch and then rebuild with make I'm always running master, not any branch? git pull --rebase returns Cannot pull with rebase: You have unstaged changes.
Please commit or stash them.

When you fetch, you download the updates to the index, but not merging on your copy of sourcecode. So you still have the individual files unmodified. pull does this merging, --rebase is useful if you do modifications, it keeps your local commits on the top of the commit tree.

You have unstaged changes. means you have not committed changes which are in the way of the update.

A solution: save (and drop) your modifications then update and finally restore your modifications:
Code: [Select]
git stash save
git pull --rebase
git stash pop

There is a chance that your modifications conflict with the code change we made in that case you need to resolve the conflict but I don't think it will be the case now. If you have any problems, just ask.

-geever

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 06:43:13 pm »
When you fetch, you download the updates to the index, but not merging on your copy of sourcecode. So you still have the individual files unmodified. pull does this merging, --rebase is useful if you do modifications, it keeps your local commits on the top of the commit tree.

You have unstaged changes. means you have not committed changes which are in the way of the update.

A solution: save (and drop) your modifications then update and finally restore your modifications:
Code: [Select]
git stash save
git pull --rebase
git stash pop

There is a chance that your modifications conflict with the code change we made in that case you need to resolve the conflict but I don't think it will be the case now. If you have any problems, just ask.

-geever

it appears the "modification" was the gl range indication bug fix patch(?). I ran the commands in your post, and now I get "nn has been wounded" messages in battlescape so I guess it's working...

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:49 pm »
I'm not seeing indications of number of wounds, and medkits still have unlimited "shots" (they now have different fire modes though). When viewing wounded soldier's health stats in battlescape, there's a small exclamation mark-style symbol by the health figure which turns green after a medkit has been used. Is this right? Seems like something would not be quite in place.

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
There's no number of wounds, the little icons that appear in the health and stats window show where the soldier is wounded: head, arms, torso, legs (if you hover over it you should see a tooltip showing the part affected and the amount of bleeding, if any)
Medikits with unlimited ammo is a bug or maybe you have modifications to weapons.ufo?

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 10:15:18 pm »
There's no number of wounds, the little icons that appear in the health and stats window show where the soldier is wounded: head, arms, torso, legs (if you hover over it you should see a tooltip showing the part affected and the amount of bleeding, if any)
Medikits with unlimited ammo is a bug or maybe you have modifications to weapons.ufo?

I've no modifications. I'll test it out further, maybe it's working as intended and I just need to learn the new stuff...

I didn't think to hover over the symbol.

Nokim

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
Tooltip on hovering wounds works in hospital but not on battlescape. Bug?
I've no modifications. I'll test it out further, maybe it's working as intended and I just need to learn the new stuff...
They should have 5 shots. Enough to save life usually.

Offline Triaxx2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »
I've always considered that Medikits are something like a box of those square white bandages, with a built-in stimulant ampule, that dispenses when you slap it on. Which means that while they might be 'saved' with a medikit in the field, once all the aliens are defeated and you're not being shot at/in fear for your life, you can focus and pay some more proper attention to various wounds and injuries.

So you might triage in the field, but once you've got them back to the dropship, you have some slightly more potent recovery tools at your disposal. Not a full hospital, but something like an ambulance, so it's not 'only what can be done with what I have'.