project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Hoverbots. AARGH!  (Read 8913 times)

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Hoverbots. AARGH!
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:05:44 am »
How do you ever complete a mission with three or more of these things?

Usually, one of these things crosses over a rooftop and strafes my squad at the end of round one - and then gets another couple of reaction shots in. I've had four seasoned warriors killed before any of them's had a chance to shoot back.

I know one good shot from a plasma rifle takes them down but it's a miracle if my soldiers live long enough to take it out, considering they sit around like idiots waiting to be killed instead of using their reaction times. With three of these things appearing in buildings and on rooftops it's almost impossible.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hoverbots. AARGH!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:01:52 am »
Regular Hovernets have been recently changed to have just a single-shot plasma weapon. The Combat Hovernets which appear later, though, will have the burst mode and will be a tough challenge.

Offline rodo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »
Hoverbots are 2.5 only?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »

Nokim

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:09:41 pm »
Hovernets are easy targets for grenades. I can't say for combat hovernet, but regular one can be killed with one frag grenade. Plasma is better of course. So one GL in squad is "must have" now.

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:02 pm »
Hovernets are easy targets for grenades. I can't say for combat hovernet, but regular one can be killed with one frag grenade. Plasma is better of course. So one GL in squad is "must have" now.
I haven't checked the damage adjustments for difficulty levels higher than Normal, but at the moment a frag grenade or 25mm HIT grenade is a guaranteed kill out to 1/3 of blast radius (further for HIT). Combat Hovernets are much more resistant and almost guaranteed to take at least two grenades (a direct hit with a maximum-damage HIT grenade will kill in one shot).

~J

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:57:54 pm »
I haven't checked the damage adjustments for difficulty levels higher than Normal, but at the moment a frag grenade or 25mm HIT grenade is a guaranteed kill out to 1/3 of blast radius (further for HIT). Combat Hovernets are much more resistant and almost guaranteed to take at least two grenades (a direct hit with a maximum-damage HIT grenade will kill in one shot).

Keep in mind these guys are really new and will probably go through significant revisions as we work out the campaign balance.

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »
It's the combat ones I'm talking about. I have grenade and rocket launchers.

There's one map where one combat hoverbot has a habit of spawning on the rooftop adjacent to the craft but when that happens there's usually another 2 or 3 of them in the next building down and they consistently kill 2-3 of my squad as soon as I hit "End Turn".

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:44 pm »
I read that they shouldn't be called hovernet, so maybe you can rename them to murderbots or somenthing ;D

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:01:00 am »
Can somebody shoot some screens of these things in action? (please quality pics with maxed out settings and widescreen resolution) Its actually a news on indiedb worth.

Offline kurja

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:48 am »
huh wait, how do I get this new enemies ingame? Update to latest dev, but do I have to start a new game or something?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:45:10 am »
No, you don't need to start a new game. They should appear as long as you have reached the stage in the game when they are scripted to appear.

Offline Starbug

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa, BACK UP a sec. There are Hoverbots now??  :o

Can somebody shoot some screens of these things in action? (please quality pics with maxed out settings and widescreen resolution) Its actually a news on indiedb worth.
^ This!

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
No, you don't need to start a new game. They should appear as long as you have reached the stage in the game when they are scripted to appear.
Well, that and wait for a new mission to spawn.

~J

Offline ManicMiner

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »
Here are a couple... The close-up is from Round 1 and the others are from Round 2. As you can see my grunts have taken a punishing but on this occasion I got lucky with the flamethrower.