Technical support > Linux

FreeBSD port v.2.3.1 Error: Shutdown on start

<< < (2/3) > >>

kabuki:
I ran glxinfo and it came back as command not found.

I have a laptop running FreeBSD that has a better video card and it did accept the command and return results so it's not an OS related thing. I may try running it on that.

I'll see what I can come up with as far as changing it to hardware rendering but think I'm going to have to get a new video card before I'm going to be able to do much with it. It's been sitting in someone else's basement for a few years and is one that I rebuilt.

I usually don't play computer games, I'm more into console gaming, but recently got a nice 20" LED monitor for it and wanted to see what it could do.

Thanks for the assistance.

geever:
Probably your videocard has some 3D just the driver u use don't. It may worth checking for better drivers (eg. for older NVIDIA cards the closed source driver is needed on Linux either, the OSS one hs no hw 3d acceleration)

-geever

kabuki:
I thought  it would have 3D and expected more out of it. It's a GeForce3 and I've used a GeForce2 to play Unreal on a Windows box that only had a P3 and 512MB RAM. I installed OpenArena and Warzone2100 last night and they both were too choppy and slow to play. If I'm going to play games at all on it I'm probably going to have to get a new card to do it, unless I'm missing something.

The generic nv driver is the only one I've been able to get to work with this card. The times I've tried using the current Nvidia driver I've ended up with a blank screen and have had to go in thorough the terminal and specify the generic driver in my xorg file to fix it. This is a fresh build of FreeBSD though so it won't hurt to give it another try. I've still got my old GeForce2 card too and may even give that a try while I'm at it.

I've tried the Vesa driver before and it did give me some transparency effects but it won't give me 1600x900 resolution.

geever:
GF3 is good enough for UFO:AI AFAIK. it's the driver issue then.

-geever

kabuki:
You're right, it is the driver.

I went though the whole dance of installing the current Nvidia driver, the ports it takes to configure/use it, and enabled the Nivdia module to load at boot but still got a fatal error when trying to startx from my login screen. I had to go back to using the generic nv driver to get X to work at all but after fiddling around with it for a while have made some progress. When running dmesg I'm now getting this message for the first time:

NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce3 GPU installed in this system is
NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 96.43.xx Legacy drivers. Please
NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
NVRM:  information.  The 295.49 NVIDIA driver will ignore
NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...

I'm also getting a message at shutdown about the GLX module not being loaded due to an incompatible driver.

I downloaded the FreeBSD-x86-96.43.20 driver for it but am going to go ahead and see if I can't get an new Nvidia card for it today. The box itself didn't cost me anything, all I've got in it so far out of pocket is what I've spent on RAM for it. The video card was already in it and the rest was hardware I had from older computers.

And I do want to play this game, more than ever now. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version