project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: wrong event order in missions  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Wh1sper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
wrong event order in missions
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
Hello all,
in 2.4 stable and in 2.5 dev also there is a wrong order in the "shoot -> result -> animation".
In example I shoot an alien and I will hit, then the Alien Cry comes first, second the dying animation, last the drawn shoot.
Same if one of my soldiers is hit in reaction fire first the cry,then the hit animation, last the shoot.
Is this a unchangeable design problem in the graphic engine or is it in the scripting engine or what is it?
I can't believe I'm the first that this "order problem" is disturbing.  I believer this problem is in 2.5 dev more disturbing because the time frame is longer.

it's a bit hard to describe what I mean, please help me  in clarify if anything is  misunderstand.

Don't get me wrong one could live with it, but it would be nice this order problem would be fixed. (And, yes I tried to find a related thread)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: wrong event order in missions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 05:30:31 pm »
the server does not run any animations - so the events on the client side are delayed.

the code for this is in src/client/battlescape/events/event/*/*.cpp

the event code contains callbacks to determine the delay for each event. (e.g. CL_ActorDoMoveTime)
patches are welcome to fix these bugs ;)

Nokim

Re: wrong event order in missions
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »
it's a bit hard to describe what I mean, please help me  in clarify if anything is  misunderstand.
I have similar problem. My topic.
the event code contains callbacks to determine the delay for each event. (e.g. CL_ActorDoMoveTime)
patches are welcome to fix these bugs ;)
If that would so easy... On the client side should be build timeline and events processed strictly in right order to prevent any disorder due to some lags. You can't rely solely on time delay for this because what would happen if, for example, death (with following optimisations to models) is shown prior to movement?