project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Building first base  (Read 6319 times)

Offline Tilarium

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Building first base
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:22:53 am »
Anyone know how to build my first base without having any buildings in it?  I want to design it myself and control the layout of it.  I thought that it was in one of the older versions, but just DLed 2.4 having not played in a very long while.  Can't find the option, if I'm imaging things and it wasn't in an older version, wow, surprised it was never in.  If I'm right and it was in one of the older versions, why was it it removed?  If it wasn't removed, why can't I find it?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Building first base
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:39:25 am »
DonĀ“t think this is possible in 2.4. Maybe by modding.

ChemBro

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
I played 2.2, 2.3 and now 2.4 and the first base was always filled. Dunno about the versions before 2.2.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:25 am »
why was it it removed?

It was removed because it was a cheat. You could build up your base in no time. And also did not fit the story.

-geever

ChemBro

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:59 am »
Also in 2.4, it takes at least 3/4 of a month to get a base ready (I don't think, you built a second base to know what I mean) and no one wants that. You want a base and you want to be ready to fight some aliens, not having to wait that long.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 11:13:31 am »
Also in 2.4, it takes at least 3/4 of a month to get a base ready (I don't think, you built a second base to know what I mean) and no one wants that. You want a base and you want to be ready to fight some aliens, not having to wait that long.

In 2.2.x and before you could choose an option to start with a single entrance and build up buildings instantly IN NO TIME. So if you started "normally" with the default base layout you had handicap compared to CHEATERs who build up the base on their own. That's why the feature was removed -- and the fact you get the Commander's chair of PHALANX not you're building it up from nothing...

-geever

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
There is a bit of a hole in the story when it come to the base.  IIRC the base is supposed to be the old Phalanx base from when it was operational which I would by extension of the fact that it was an American organisation expect to be in the US territories and yet you can build it anywhere (I typically go for the Middle East/Asia).

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 01:57:29 pm »
There is a bit of a hole in the story when it come to the base.  IIRC the base is supposed to be the old Phalanx base from when it was operational which I would by extension of the fact that it was an American organisation expect to be in the US territories and yet you can build it anywhere (I typically go for the Middle East/Asia).

Yes, I would like to have it's location fixed or at least to be chosen from a few possible locations, but others wanted more freedom for the players.

-geever

ChemBro

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 02:04:55 pm »
I like this little bit of freedom. As a european, I place my first base always in Europe. Dunno about the others. :-)

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:44:57 pm »
Would it be better to say that the original PHALANX was a joint American/UN initiative with the Americans providing the military and high tech aspects of the old organisation and the UN providing the base, general equipment, access to international alien landing/incident sites and civilian personnel.

That way the base could be anywhere in the world and would explain why the UN knows all about the project while giving the project access to the best equipment at the time.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 03:15:27 pm »
Think you can skip the whole 'American' bit in that case, though.
They're not the only ones with high-tech, ya know. And I'm pretty sure there are better things to find elsewhere in the world.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:56 pm »
Thing is the UN of now has no military of its own so would need 1 member state or more to provide it.  Also the USA has in general access to the best level of military technology ( i know there are exceptions), but the USA might not have access to the best technology and personnel in other fields which is where the UN connections come in.  sorry my last post want very clear on that

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 04:02:23 pm »
When you're an international organisation of more or less every country in the world, I'm pretty sure you don't have to rely on a single member to supply you with stuff. 'Best of the best' approach on individual stuff like the one already in-game would make much more sense.
And honestly, I'd rather not go into a debate on who has the best shit because the only way that kind of debate wouldn't end in a bunch of nationalistic dickwawing involves a fuckload of gamma.

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:46:16 pm »
True

Ignoring the whole technology debate basing around 1 country has couple advantages.

1. Removes Language differences, which especially in the fighting arm is a definite bonus
2. Security/Secrecy Phalanx has always been a covert organisation, the less national governments involved reduces the chance of leaks.  The UN can employ civilians on a whim so can draw from the best in a field without involving anyone other than the person being recruited.  Also having one nation doing most of the on the ground stuff means the UN can hide the project as a Project of that Nation's government.

I chose the US because

1. That is the current nation chosen
2. They posses a high base of technology or have ready access to most of that they dont produce domestically
3. They have sufficient military that a couple of squads and a few aircraft wont be missed much

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 05:08:13 pm »
could we make the storyline more involved?

as an example, I wrote a sample in the "contribute" section which lends the possibility of either gaining, discovering, or winning back a base after it has been attacked by aliens. This would make for an interesting high-stakes, dangerous battle with a huge payoff at the end - getting another base. or else a nice easter egg, or a chance discovery.... or maybe even an sudden plot development while the player is doing badly in the game, to help him along...