project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.5-dev play through  (Read 47603 times)

Offline rodo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5-dev play through
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2012, 05:29:02 pm »
Good to know, I think I can live with that.

Will try to update tonight, or maybe tomorrow.
Thanks.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2012, 08:21:08 pm »
Phalanx survived! At least ´til the end of month. The funding came in, most of which I spent on a second small hangar in America North and setting up a third base in Africa.

Six new recruits came in. No need to play that careful anymore.

We finished the Continuous Wave Laser Operation research. Scientists started to develop the Aerial Laser Cannon.

Also played some more missions. Nothing notable happened, but I will at least show the mapshots.

Four aliens here. Crystan killed the one on the roof and was promoted to corporal after the mission.

A terror site. ChemBro was promoted to corporal after this mission.

The new Bridge map.

We shot two more UFOs down, but unfortunately both crashsites are in the frozen area (report). We will have to use automission here.

ChemBro

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:13 am »
A terror site. ChemBro was promoted to corporal after this mission.

I'm the boss.

The new Bridge map.

The new design makes more sense. The old bridge map had a big disadvantage for the human player.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2012, 05:23:01 pm »
A Scout UFO landed north west of America North. Beta Squad landed at night. Looks like the home of the Blair Witch.

Yes, it is our TrashMan. Not sure how the typo made it into the books. We will fix this once he is back from this mission. If he comes back on his own feet. Right now he crouched, aimed and pulled the trigger of the Sniper Rifle. We need a hit in order to get a chance to flank the other two aliens.

Seems like TrashMan wants to catch up in body count with Crystan. Not only did he hit and kill the first Taman, he does this again only two rounds later. This was kinda revenge, because his second victim hit poor Rodo with a plasma bolt before. Fortunately Rodos armour did hold and he was only slightly injured.

However, Rodo got really angry here, muttering something about "real weapon" and "water pistol" (nobody could actually hear what exactly he said) and took direct route to encounter the last alien. He somehow dodged the RF and nailed the Taman onto the outer wall of the hut with Full-Auto from the Submachine Gun.

Mission complete.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »
Seems like TrashMan wants to catch up in body count with Crystan.
In his dreams! :D

Offline rodo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
#$"!#$ frikking shotgun.

*Receives Plasma Bolt*

Wha?.. THE HELL Trashman. Clean up that alien already!

#$%& me, me, me, I have to do all the dirty work.
and with $%#" $% water gun, sh#$.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 08:48:30 pm »
LOL

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 09:29:34 pm »
Played some missions. Those are most the usual crash sites, Scout or Fighter UFOs with 3 or 4 aliens at best. Alien Body Armour and Plasma Rifle are still rare and we lost no soldier. Although we were somewhat lucky on the last missions, I think.

This is the only map I did not really like so far. You simply have no room, Not enough TUs to go in on the first turn and you cannot get cover if you stay outside the building. Not sure how to handle this. But of course it is nice to see a lot of different maps. Once more people play 2.5-dev (or 2.4.1, because the fix about the mapselection alone would make a good reason for this) we will get more feedback about the maps.

Small Street. We had four aliens here, unarmoured Tamans. They all used their Plasma Grenades to kill the nearby civvies in the very first turn.  Afterwards they had to fight with their bare 'hands' against a full squad of heavily armed and armoured Phalanx soldiers.

Wilderness map. The aliens only had plasma grenades, but the guy on the left managed to walk from nowhere up to this point, absorbed some hits from the RF and threw a grenade next to Allison and Thierry Zhang (the two soldiers on the left, behind the wood). They both were heavily wounded with Allison getting the best of it, down to 7/99 health points. So we have to hire two new soldiers for Alpha Squad while this the Zhang twins are resting in the hospital. Maybe also noteworthy, Crystan (second from the right) shot, hit and killed the Taman on the right side of the pic. Incredible.

We need the new recruits, because Alpha Squad will have to take on this Harvester that landed in the Lhasa region.

Sniping Contest:
Crystan, Alpha Squad (Phalanx HQ), Sergeant, Missions 21 Kills 15
TrashMan, Beta Squad (America North), Rifleman, Missions 3 Kills 2

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:44 pm »
Wilderness map. The aliens only had plasma grenades, but the guy on the left managed to walk from nowhere up to this point, absorbed some hits from the RF and threw a grenade next to Allison and Thierry Zhang. They both were heavily wounded with Allison getting the best of it, down to 7/99 health points.

Thats really bad. I really like Allison. :/

When do you switch to the new version with the new soldier models?

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2012, 10:00:24 pm »
Thats really bad. I really like Allison. :/

The medics told she will be back soon.  :P

When do you switch to the new version with the new soldier models?

Was the problem with the heads solved ?

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »
Was the problem with the heads solved ?
I dont know - theres something wrong with the heads? They've been commited 2 days ago.

Offline rodo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32:21 pm »
I switched to it a couple of hours ago.

Headz missing, but that's not the worst. For some reason I cannot enter the battlescape (missions), as soon as I press the enter mission button and the map is drawn I get kicked out to the geoscope view immediately.

This is of course using the 2.4 saves I have around.
Had to re-install 2.4 release to keep playing  :(

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2012, 09:00:43 am »
I switched to it a couple of hours ago.
Headz missing, but that's not the worst. For some reason I cannot enter the battlescape (missions), as soon as I press the enter mission button and the map is drawn I get kicked out to the geoscope view immediately.

Although it is possible, there might also be some map issue responsible for this. What does the console say about this?

I had this too in current master. Because the replacement of a plant model on +forest (some .mdx file needs to be removed), the 'missing tile bug' on +frozen (same reported for +mansion), a problem with the currently added crashed scout on +bridge map (iirc missing .bsp).

This is of course using the 2.4 saves I have around.
Had to re-install 2.4 release to keep playing  :(

You can have both versions and trade the savegames without problems. On my pc (RIP  :'() I had 2.3.1, 2.4 nightly/release, 2.5 nightly, 2.5-dev built from source and another built using Mutons tool. Never had any problems with that.

In general, i will switch to the actual source as soon as the 'soldier models miss heads' problem is solved in master. I don´t want to show screenshots with headless soldiers.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 10:09:22 am »
In general, i will switch to the actual source as soon as the 'soldier models miss heads' problem is solved in master. I don´t want to show screenshots with headless soldiers.

Mattn got it fixed now. I just confirmed the fix myself. Hooray, new soldier models!

ChemBro

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »
Mattn got it fixed now. I just confirmed the fix myself. Hooray, new soldier models!

The new models are good... except for the heads. The heads in 2.4 look better.