project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Raptor: A death trap?  (Read 2478 times)

ChemBro

Raptor: A death trap?
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:49:08 am »
So, after upgrading from Firebird to Herakles drop ship, which felt like a downgrade strategic-wise (see the other "death trap" thread), I upgraded to the Raptor-class drop ship, which feels even more like a downgrade (strategic-wise).

As you can see in the screenshot with my awesome gimp skills, all my soldiers spawn in the open, ready to be shot by the aliens nearby with full TU bar. At least one soldier will not survive (right above): He can't hide in time, he will be shot to death, if he moves and he can't kill both aliens nearby (so one can still kill him/her). Well, if I'm lucky enough, I might be able to kill all 3 aliens, but this is the "crashed supply ship"-mission with 7 aliens and I don't know where the other 4 are.

It's nice to have a fast and well equipped drop ship like the Raptor, but now, most of the missions really feel like a death trap for my soldiers. Shouldn't there be at least a little bit of protection for my soldiers, after being dropped? These are my best men (and women). I don't want to lose them only because of the way, the ship is build (though it does look fancy).

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Raptor: A death trap?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:11:15 am »
The problem is the map, not the model. Of course it could help if some modeler would provide a better model. But we also need to impove the existing maps, to get rid of this 'Ufocrash' map.

And, like I said before in the 'Herakles-death-trap' thread, we need some feedback. The advanced dropships were not used that often before 2.4.

ChemBro

Re: Raptor: A death trap?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:17 am »
Well, that's why I do these threads: For feedback. And... someone might find my picture funny.  8) Okay, okay, enough fooling around.