project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO Yard not getting any!  (Read 6413 times)

Offline fabittar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
UFO Yard not getting any!
« on: December 11, 2010, 04:40:42 am »
Greetings fellow men of the stand,

In these troubled times of earthly resistance, my somewhat successful operation is not evoluting to my satisfaction but for one small detail which escapes my reasoning and patience both. I've downed an alien UFO fighter and having constructed the Yard which is a requisite for storage, chose to keep it to myself. Our chief scientists congratulated me, an instant message informed of its transfer to the Yard, but the weeks passed, more fighting happened, I was actually told that the Yard had one space consumed by the aforementioned UFO fighter, except it never made it there. The Yard is empty. I'm told the aliencraft is not available for research. It's nowhere to be found.

Is this a bug or am I missing something particularly obvious here? This is my first play-through. I've researched Laser Waves and the Alien Armor.

*EDIT*

By the way, since we're here already, why not ask something else, right? I searched the forums and read about weapon loadouts and such. My questions is: in UFO:EU, Plasma was definately the best weapon in game, but apparently in here, Plasma is not all that great and Lasers are actually pretty good. Is this correct? Also, I'm rather fond of my snipers; should I start training them to use heavy laser rifles instead of sniper guns proper? I wish there was a laser sniper rifle, tho. Seems to me a shame I'm to drop my snipers because their weapon of choice will become obsolete.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:17:25 am by fabittar »

Offline Rockwolf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Yard not getting any!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:22:13 am »
Greetings fellow men of the stand,

In these troubled times of earthly resistance, my somewhat successful operation is not evoluting to my satisfaction but for one small detail which escapes my reasoning and patience both. I've downed an alien UFO fighter and having constructed the Yard which is a requisite for storage, chose to keep it to myself. Our chief scientists congratulated me, an instant message informed of its transfer to the Yard, but the weeks passed, more fighting happened, I was actually told that the Yard had one space consumed by the aforementioned UFO fighter, except it never made it there. The Yard is empty. I'm told the aliencraft is not available for research. It's nowhere to be found.

Is this a bug or am I missing something particularly obvious here? This is my first play-through. I've researched Laser Waves and the Alien Armor.

*EDIT*

By the way, since we're here already, why not ask something else, right? I searched the forums and read about weapon loadouts and such. My questions is: in UFO:EU, Plasma was definately the best weapon in game, but apparently in here, Plasma is not all that great and Lasers are actually pretty good. Is this correct? Also, I'm rather fond of my snipers; should I start training them to use heavy laser rifles instead of sniper guns proper? I wish there was a laser sniper rifle, tho. Seems to me a shame I'm to drop my snipers because their weapon of choice will become obsolete.

Can you research UFO Theory?  Try researching that, it may help open up craft types.  Also, where is your UFO Yard?  Is it close to your base, or really far away?  Try to build UFO Yards really close to your base.

As for Snipers, eventually in late game you'll be using bigger and badder weapons than Plasma, and some of those will be useable by snipers.  I won't say what the weapons are, but they're very nice, and they'll make your snipers smile.  I do agree about LASER Sniper weapons though, it would be really nice to have a laser weapon that is useable by a sniper, or perhaps open up new research chains for better sniper ammo.  One thing about Lasers is that while they are extremely accurate, and most of your shots land if you've got a clear shot, however, even though you landed 4 strikes out of 6 in two volleys from a laser rifle, that Ortnok is still standing!  Lasers are kinda weak, but still better than ballistic weapons (shotguns with saboted slugs are debatable, I've had better luck putting down an Ortnok or armored Taman with slugs than lasers at close range)

Offline fabittar

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:34:50 am »
Can you research UFO Theory?

I can, yes. Maybe this is it, as I haven't touched most of the research topics; it takes FOREVER to complete these and I'm running a crowded base with two labs and a full complement of twenty scientists to men their stations. As for the Yard and its distance to my research center, it's pretty damn close, about two inches away.

When I click the Yard, there's no mention to aliencraft on transfer or of what is already stowed in, but when I capture a NEW vessel and choose to keep it, the dialog box tells me some of my Yard's been occupied (by the other UFOs I kept, I believe).

This game is fantastic and I can see it evolved much through the years and hard work of volunteers, so I'm grateful for it. What is missing (or in need of a fix) is trivial in comparison to what's been done. I can live with the few bugs I've encountered, knowing that these too will be gone before long; more weapon choices for snipers, portable/throwable fluorescent lights, better AI, et cetera are all great ideas and will come up in a future version... eventually. :)

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:11 am »

It's situational -- depends on how likely you are to hit (the shorter the distance and the less cover the target has, the less important the weapon's spread is...), how quickly you need 'em dead, and what armor they're wearing.

Some random notes:

- A few weapons can shoot through walls (at reduced damage).  These are the sniper rifle, coil gun, bolter rifle, and minigun (MP only).  This means that you can *kill* enemies whom your shooter can't even see.   These weapons also make it easier to kill civvies for the same reason.

Sniper rifle ammo is available cheaply from the beginning and isn't particularly hard to stockpile, so it's not very expensive to engage in a long-range sniper duel with 'em.  DF carts are less available but still purchasable.  Coil gun ammo is bulky and significantly much more difficult to stockpile, meaning that you can less afford to take an iffy shot with them than you can with the sniper rifle.

- Lower-power ballistic weapons (e.g. the SMG) do almost nil damage to enemies wearing medium armor.  The /maximum/ possible damage you can do with a 15-round burst through medium armor is... 15.

- Lasers tend to be highly accurate but fairly low damage.  Against well-armored opponents, heavy lasers are substantially more efficient in terms of damage/TU than laser rifles; however, they're slower to fire, making it harder to use them for reaction fire.

- Plasma pistols are nastier than your average human sidearm; each hit will do ~10-20 to a medium-armored alien (or 30-60 for a 3-rd burst).  For comparison, a stab with a combat knife should do 0-40, a stab with a monomolecular knife should do 40-76, and a thrown monomolecular knife should do ~33-63.

- Plasma weapons generally are higher damage/much lower precision, making them nasty at close range and worthless at long range.

- Particle beam weapons are nastier at damage than plasma, and somewhat more accurate.  A particle beam pistol shot will do 19-39 through medium armor or 57-117 if a 3-rd burst entirely hits.

The particle beam rifle is inferior to the sniper rifle for sniping --
An aimed shot with a particle beam rifle will be less accurate than an aimed shot with a sniper rifle (crouched v. crouched, the spread values are 0.7 each X/Y vs. 0.45 each X/Y; compare with plasma rifle standing up = 1.0/1.0 or 1.9/1.9 for plasma rifle burst fire standing up).  The sniper shot would do 83 pts to an alien wearing medium armor; the particle beam rifle shot would do 53-73, with much harder to get ammo.  (...and the coil gun is as precise as the sniper rifle, would do 122-194 per hit).

The needler, fired crouched, is not quite as precise as the sniper rifle (0.6/0.6), and would do less damage (73-83).

...and the data file for the heavy needler looks badly bugged; it looks like an aimed shot with it would do far /less/ damage than the regular needler.

Offline IGL

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
If you want to deal with UFO vessels technology then you have to do the following:
- Build UFO Yeard outside your base, but close to it! (and wait until construction is completed)
- Go on a mission where UFO has landed (not shut down and crash landed, but just landed).
- After the mission collect the UFO (do NOT sell).
- Shortly after ufo is delivered to base you will have a new Research possibility,
--  First research "UFO Theory"
--  and then you can research UFO types, eg "UFO - Scout"

The essential thing is to collect whole (non-crashed) UFO. If you collect just some wrecks - better sell them (do not fill your UFO Yard slots with wreckages - it is waste of space).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:11:50 pm by IGL »