project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Gameplay Question  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Gameplay Question
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:00:17 pm »
Do selling UFOs to nations improve relations?

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:23:42 pm »
slightly.

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:55:41 pm »
Thx.

Lastly, is there a good reason why I would want to store more than 1 type of UFO or should I keep 1 of each for  research and sell the rest?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »
Lastly, is there a good reason why I would want to store more than 1 type of UFO or should I keep 1 of each for  research and sell the rest?

You wanna store as much undamaged ufo as you can. Antimatter is only extractable from them.

-geever

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:17:31 am »
roger. thanks.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:05:16 am »
selling ufos to nations improves relations -- is this a myth that some players want to believe, or is this real? sometimes the relations improve with that particular nation, but sometimes the relations improve with another nation. not necessarily a connection, and i have seen no documentation about it.

also, as far as i remember, if you look at what you get for dismantling (especially the alien materials), as far as i remember (have not played for some time) the undamaged harvesters are the only ones worth storing. and i doubt there is any tech from the scouts and fighters that you cannot get from harvesters.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:08:47 am by homunculus »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 12:31:26 pm »
I investigated the code behind selling UFOs when I was trying to balance the UFO appearances. From what I could tell, selling a UFO to a nation increases that nation's happiness but decreases other nation's happiness.

The net effect is negative -- ie, selling a UFO reduces the overall happiness of all nation's combined. However, especially in the early game when there are whole regions the player can not protect, this net effect may be outweighed strategically by the ability to improve the happiness of those nations you are not protecting. I chose not to tamper with the mechanism.

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:44:55 am »
more sophisticated than I thought but works well. in my latest campaign with only 3 bases and a good track record, I have positive trending overall with all but 1 nation. that's with incessantly hawking crashed UFOs to a couple of regions that is outside my security net. I guess the system works.

Offline jeffreyac

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:32:17 pm »
A question from a brand new player (so my apologies if it should be obvious...)  - to store UFO's, do I build my own empty hanger, or is there a specific 'UFO Yard' that becomes available for build after some research effort?

edit in an effort not to create too many new 'new questions' threads:

1) I have had several embarks into tactical battles, where I can't cross terrain (and one, in a city terror zone, where 6 out of my 8 guys would not leave the transport...)  Is there a known bug I'm not aware of with impassible terrain, or leaving your embark area?

2) It appears that the stuff I can produce (in my workshop) actually costs the same as purchasing it, and the purchased item shows up immediately (as opposed to awaiting a production time...) So, other than the yet-unseen possibility of an item you need that isn't available for purchase, what's the point of production if it costs the same as buying the same stuff?

3) Is there an easy way to set the game to run full screen?

4) I've had a couple of random crashes to desktop (version 2.3.1) - is this known to be a little unstabe, or is it just my system?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:59:07 pm by jeffreyac »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:19 pm »
You can Build UFO Yards on the Geoscape. Theres a "Create Installations" Button in the bottom right corner.

Offline jeffreyac

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »
Ah, thanks much....  :)   that should help; I didnt think to look for them as separate installations.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:28 am »
1) I have had several embarks into tactical battles, where I can't cross terrain (and one, in a city terror zone, where 6 out of my 8 guys would not leave the transport...)  Is there a known bug I'm not aware of with impassible terrain, or leaving your embark area?

There is a solution for this in this thread.

2) It appears that the stuff I can produce (in my workshop) actually costs the same as purchasing it, and the purchased item shows up immediately (as opposed to awaiting a production time...) So, other than the yet-unseen possibility of an item you need that isn't available for purchase, what's the point of production if it costs the same as buying the same stuff?

Actually it is more expensive to produce the item yourself, as you have to pay your workers and for the workshop. Some poeple like it, some donĀ“t. But it will not be changed I think.

3) Is there an easy way to set the game to run full screen?

Options - Video - enable fullscreen. Changing resolutions or using a bad one often causes problems in my experience.

4) I've had a couple of random crashes to desktop (version 2.3.1) - is this known to be a little unstabe, or is it just my system?

Without any further information you will get no answer for this. You should atleast attach the ufoconsole.log file.

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:10 am »
Without any further information you will get no answer for this. You should atleast attach the ufoconsole.log file.

Or just switch to the 2.4 snapshot (which is more stable and bugfree) because your 2.3 savegames will not work with the upcoming 2.4 release. :)

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
oddly enough 2.4 causes me less problems. I suggest you give it a go.

Offline jeffreyac

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 06:44:10 am »
Thanks for the good words, all - just downloaded the patch, and will give it a shot shortly...   haven't tried for the 2.4 version yet - not overly worried about lack of save game compatability; I'm still learning as I go and I'll just start a new game with the newer version...  :)  As far as the CTD, yeah, I should have put more info on there...  :)   my apologies!