project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Will XCom: Enemy Unknown affect this project?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Toga Jon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Will XCom: Enemy Unknown affect this project?
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:27:29 am »
I have just came upon the news that the new reinvention of UFO Enemy Unknown will be released in the 3rd quarter of 2012. http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/agegate.html

Does anyone know if this will have any affect on the completion of this project. Will people still be happy to get involved when there may be a commercially developed alternative. Also with there be any copyright issues if the publishers think that this project is too similar to their own creations historical titles?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Will XCom: Enemy Unknown affect this project?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:42:00 am »
It's not the only commercially developed alternative in the works. It will depend on how the game comes out.

But at the end of the day, a closed source game is what it is and can not evolve, so I doubt it will have a huge impact on UFO:AI.

Offline Toga Jon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »
I really hope that it does not impact UFO:AI as I have doubts about how good the new FireAxis version will be. At the moment it is the open source ability for modding that gives me the most hope of a proper UFO Enemy Unknown style experience.

ChemBro

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:11:45 pm »
I have doubts about how good the new FireAxis version will be.

You know, Firaxis are former Microprose employees and what did Microprose develop a long time ago? Right, X-Com. Circle closed.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »
Doesn't mean it'll be good.
There's everything from executive meddling to that 'wider audience' crap to contend with.

Offline Kemlo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »
You know, Firaxis are former Microprose employees and what did Microprose develop a long time ago? Right, X-Com. Circle closed.
Microprose only published the games, it was Mythos that created the series.

Offline Kine

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 02:26:01 pm »
Like many others here no doubt, I'll be buying the new X-COM 2012.

But will still keep on playing UFO:AI

Both games gonna end up having a different feel to them where the remake will feature a short and sweet affair even for the single player campaign. Anyone who's played the console version of Civilisation will understand my suspicion. I'm looking forward to the Firaxis reincarnation nonetheless, mainly for the flash and bangs but UFO:AI is still about the original experience for me.

I hope this project continues.
I hope UFO:AI evolve a little away from the original X-COM out of necessity to differentiate itself from XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2012.

A deeper geoscape strategy element eventually would be my suggestion coz that's what the PC is good for.

Ildamos

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »

But at the end of the day, a closed source game is what it is and can not evolve, so I doubt it will have a huge impact on UFO:AI.

This.

Also, UFO: AI is one of the few clones out there that stay true to the Microprose formula---the new XCOM is simplifying game mechanics to make it appeal to a wider market base. While certainly this whole D&D-ish "move and attack" or "double move" scheme sounds appealing, purists would gravitate toward games like UFO: AI.