project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How to ID fallen troops in a battle  (Read 5049 times)

Ildamos

How to ID fallen troops in a battle
« on: May 09, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »
Currently the annoying thing in 2.2.1 is I can't seem to find out who died during a battle. I've resorted to manually listing down on paper who I'm sending to a rescue/assault mission so that in case an elite dies, I simply reload a game.

Is there anyway to ID who the aliens got? Sorry if this proves to be a very newbie question.

EDIT:

Nevermind this. I noticed the horizontal bar above with the numbers. Still, I think it'd be handy if you can over your command tile/cursor over a dead trooper and a tooltip comes out with the soldier's name on it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:35:27 pm by Ildamos »

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: How to ID fallen troops in a battle
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:49:05 am »
so that in case an elite dies, I simply reload a game.
another reason to color-code your soldier's uniforms.

Ildamos

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:20:47 pm »
Ah! Awesome tip! Thanks!

I was actually thinking that the arctic-jungle-urban thing conferred accuracy penalties to the aliens. (Will this be implemented? If so, it'd be nice if the aliens have their own camo too. Prolly a semi-stealth shimmerfield?)

Btw, sorry for the typo; I meant "hover," not "over."

odie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 12:04:13 pm »
Ah! Awesome tip! Thanks!

I was actually thinking that the arctic-jungle-urban thing conferred accuracy penalties to the aliens. (Will this be implemented? If so, it'd be nice if the aliens have their own camo too. Prolly a semi-stealth shimmerfield?)

Btw, sorry for the typo; I meant "hover," not "over."

Ildamos,

So far, not tat i know of -> camo and environment penalties. For now, balancing not done, so i guess u can do tat - colorcoding ur soldiers.

On a personal note..... in real battle, i do not really see who my buddy in front is.... we all dress the same. We use comms.

Hence, as a good commander, its impt tat u rmbr who u deploy where, keep in checks with their comms (which is represented in our game with the birds'eye view for realism)...... :P

making sense, am i here? I am getting a full load of the effects of working 3 days in a row almost with little slp..... and concurrently working to get CB working on my ssytem..... lol.... thankfully it does now, and a new version is uploading.........

Ildamos

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 03:53:26 pm »
You still have to view it from the perspective of non-coms Odie; something as convenient as seeing who died in a squad-centric game at a glance is a very important part of a game. Inconveniencing a player is a no-no.

I hope this gets considered in future versions of the game.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:57:45 pm »
Mission debriefing is in a pretty primitive state right now. It seems like a good idea to list casualties at the end of a mission.

Ildamos

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:10:29 pm »
That too.

But what's bugging me is that I can't immediately who just died during a battle (not after). Certainly, the horizontal number bar at the top of the screen is helpful in informing the player who just bought the barn, but I think it'd be super if you guys can add a tooltip that shows the name of the deceased every time the player places the cursor on his/her body.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:24:10 pm »
I thought the game displayed a message whenever a soldier was killed?

Ildamos

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »
It does? I'm using 2.2.1 and I haven't noticed anything. I'll check it out when I get home...

Thanks.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 05:42:29 pm »
2.2.1 might not do it, but I think 2.3-dev does.

Ildamos

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:01:15 pm »
Ah! Good to hear that!

(Btw, who's your avatar? Is that Asuma from the Naruto anime series?)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:00:47 pm »
No. His name is Doumeki Kai, and he's one of the characters from the Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan games.

odie

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 08:29:57 am »
But what's bugging me is that I can't immediately who just died during a battle (not after). Certainly, the horizontal number bar at the top of the screen is helpful in informing the player who just bought the barn, but I think it'd be super if you guys can add a tooltip that shows the name of the deceased every time the player places the cursor on his/her body.

I think that a good idea of battle summary (esp on ranks gained, soldiers /civi / aliens dead, and items listing of whats gained) would be good. I guess we have to give dev more time. :D

(Btw, who's your avatar? Is that Asuma from the Naruto anime series?)
[/quote]

No. His name is Doumeki Kai, and he's one of the characters from the Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan games.

My my....are we off topic already? lol.

ShrikeDeCil

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 07:08:10 pm »
I didn't read the original post as requesting a battle summary - but instead requesting that the 'heartbeat' screen work for stunned and dead soldiers as well.

At least, in one of the UI's there's three tabs along the side. One's Options, one's inventory, and one gives details of the chosen soldier. Statistics, skills, heartrate, health and morale. It works fine for normal and even panicked soldiers. But if they're stunned or dead you can't 'select them', and thus can't see their stats.

If you could select them, you could see where exactly they died. Whether they are just stunned unconscious or actually dead. Perhaps even seeing if he was the one guy carrying necessary widget x.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 07:10:25 pm by ShrikeDeCil »

Ildamos

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:27:07 am »
I did a search and this came up. Is this going to be implemented in 2.4? (Camo affecting accuracy)

Also, there should be a more effective way of IDing fallen troops in battle in 2.4. Or is there? I've begun to play 2.3.1 after a looong while. Haven't posted in quite a while in this forum too.

How is everyone?  :D