project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Turning soldiers in different directions  (Read 4566 times)

XCOM1

Turning soldiers in different directions
« on: September 28, 2006, 06:11:34 pm »
First off, let me say that this is what I have been waiting for.  I must applaud everyone out there that has a hand in making this game a reality.  For an opensource game I am very impressed with the graphics and gameplay.  I can't wait for the finished product.  Keep up the good work!

Now, as to my problem/question.  I don't know if this has been brought up before but, is there any way to turn the soldiers around in different directions while standing in the same spot?  I know that in the original XCOM:EU (Collector's Edition) you could do this moving the locator box to the direction that you wanted your soldiers to face and then just click on your right mouse button.  If this has not been addressed then I would think that this would help out in a lot of situations.  Or does the soldier AI automatically turn to face the aliens if they are in LOS?

Offline Moe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:42:27 pm »
well then dont turn around when a alien comes from non-sight side.
about the turning i dunno if ya can turn face with moving points(not sure tho)

Sacrusha

Re: Turning soldiers in different directions
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:51:40 pm »
Quote from: "XCOM1"
Now, as to my problem/question.  I don't know if this has been brought up before but, is there any way to turn the soldiers around in different directions while standing in the same spot?  I know that in the original XCOM:EU (Collector's Edition) you could do this moving the locator box to the direction that you wanted your soldiers to face and then just click on your right mouse button.
It's the middle mouse button in this game, IIRC. Costs 1 TU I think.

XCOM1

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:00:37 pm »
Sweet!  Thanks!  I will give it a try.  One TU sounds about right.  That is what the cost was in the original.

ubequitz

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:09:26 am »
The <ctrl> key can also be used to turn a soldier.

Note: there is a known bug that sometimes turning doesn't work (I've only seen it happen a few times).

If anyone finds turning a selected soldier isn't working can they please try this experiment:
* select another soldier
* re-select the original soldier
* try turning the soldier again

I am interested to know if that is a work-around to the bug (or not).

XCOM1

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:14:47 pm »
I tried the middle mouse button and it worked.  I will try to use the control key if I am able to play the game tonight and let you know if this worked as well or not.  I haven't run into not being able to turn the soldiers when applying the middle mouse button, but I will let you know.

One other thing though, I started a new game (normal difficulty) and produced some armor (kevlar vest).  When production was complete,  it never showed up in my inventory to be able to equip it to my soldiers.  Now, the first time I played the game (normal difficulty) I was able to produce the armor and equip the soldiers with it.  But now it will not show up in my inventory.  Any ideas?

Sorry, last thing I promise.  I noticed that when I start a new game in Normal Difficulty it brings up the "story line",  but it gets cut off at the bottom of the page.  In the final version, will there be a cursor that the player will be able to move in order to scroll down through the columns?  Or am I missing something?

Thanks, and once again, great game.  Can't wait until the final version.  Keep up the good work!

jhcook1999

Re: Turning soldiers in different directions
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:35:58 am »
Quote from: "XCOM1"
That is what the cost was in the original.

It's not entirly like the original, in the original, it was 1 TU per turn.  If you were facing "up" in the game, and you told your soldier to turn "down" it would cost you 4 TUs.  

"up" -> "up left" = 1 TU
"up left" -> "left" = 1 TU
"left" -> "down left" = 1 TU
"down left" -> "down" = 1 TU
Total = 4 TU.

UFOAI seems to be more like, 1 turn to any direction = 1 TU.

bart

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 04:30:06 am »
Hi Dev Team,

Thank you so much for all your work, and I am keen to help.

My experience is almost exactly the same as XCOM1's - the story cut off at the bottom, and I had trouble with vests, and I love UFO:Enemy Unknown and am here to help with the Open Source version if I can.

Bart

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 06:43:53 am »
bart - in which way you wanna help? code? art? maps? models? music?