Technical support > Linux

i386/amd64

(1/2) > >>

tegeland:
can i install the amd64 version downloaded from the link in the above pinned topic on the same system that i have a 32 bit game running on without affecting or needing any of the files existing in the 32 bit game, and if so, how? I haven't even opened the download yet since I have tweaked all the settings in the 32 bit game and have it running smoothly with all video maxed :) oddly my frame rates are 15-30 but all screens are smooth.
I am hoping the 64 bit may increase frame rates by using the additional 4g ram which 32 does not see.. any comments on that?

Thanks

bayo:
I think it will not change your speed rate, cause it mostly depend of your video card/gl driver.
And sure we dont use 4GB of memory in any version (or i hope we dont) :-)

tegeland:
well the video card is NV9800GS, 512MB, I know its not the most powerful but it is compliant with the PCIe1a (rare bus). If anyone can say with 100% certainty a more powerful NV card compliant with PCIe1a(and linux 11.10) I'd love to hear it, (power no prob.. 1kw supply),it has been difficult to get cards that work properly on it (no mandate for backwards compliance since it was not in production long before PCIe2). My native resolution is 1920x1080 and I run all else maxed. If I drop the res a notch to a 1400x my frames stay in the 40's but the picture quality takes a noticable hit so I keep it native and turn down all rotation and scroll speeds till I find the just right combination, 15fps and smooth. This is not to say higher frames wouldn't make moving the view around at higher speeds more enjoyable.. and save time.. but I haven't cracked that nut yet with my existing hardware.

Regardless, I'd still like to try the 64 build, but I don't want to mess up the current install. I run the game on two other windows, an XP and a 7/64ult,40-50fps, but the windows graphics and picture quality really blows compared to the linux.

Note, I downloaded,compiled,installed and config the linux build 2.4-dev, including maps,(no help needed) so I really just need reassurance the two won't intertwine and mabey a little guidance (If you can answer my question I shouldn't = big time commitment to spoonfeeding)

Thanks in advance..

tegeland:
on a final note, after hours of testing and comparison, I am thoroughly convinced it is not the video card or its drivers (absolute latest)..
reason being.. I have been running beta oil rush for a year now maxed out video settings, but 64bit builds only, and I fly through that, zero lag or skipping and the graphics are pretty extreme for anything running native linux with no emulator.

my fps in there is the same, 15. Hence my desire to try a 64bit ufoai build.

geever:
But it's most probably the driver.

As far as I remember Forceware has a feature to optimize the vcard settings to certain games. And it faulty detected UFO:AI as UFO:Aftermath, using sub-optimal settings which caused slowdown. You could check if playing with vcard settings solve the problem.

Note: The FPS is maxed at 50, so you won't get more than that.

-geever

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version