project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Getting UFO on Ubuntu 11.10  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Highlander4880

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Getting UFO on Ubuntu 11.10
« on: November 15, 2011, 09:26:34 pm »
Hello,

in the section "Download" for Linux it shows "currently not available". When will it be available again? I have not been able to figure out another way to get in installed.

Regards
Highlander4880

Offline Davren13

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Getting UFO on Ubuntu 11.10
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:26:37 am »
You've probably found it, but just below the penguin at the "Linux currently offline" listing is an Ubuntu icon with "Ubuntu UFO:AI at PlayDeb" next to it. The PlayDeb link takes you to their page, their install instructions are through a link at the bottom right of their "Welcome" page.
I had difficulties with it (looks now like I didn't simply download and install the PlayDeb package in step one. The post http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php/topic,6112.msg48576.html#msg48576 reminded me) but I didn't keep precise notes, I think I was mainly just expecting it to work like it had in earlier versions of Ubuntu.

After their install instructions, in Firefox clicking the "Install this now" link should offer to open the Ubuntu Software Center, it should open with the details open so you can just click "Install" to the right.

If that doesn't work, after the PlayDeb install instructions, there should be in Ubuntu Software Center a "GetDeb" category you can get to by clicking the dropdown arrow next to the "All Software" icon, then you can type "ufo" in the search box and install it there (the main listing is "UFO: Alien Invasion - build your team and stop the aliens" it has just the word "ufoai" under it). Searching for ufo before selecting the GetDeb category doesn't find it.

Also, if those don't work, their install adds a repository and you can add UFO:AI (ufoai) through a package manager like Synaptic.

If you prefer terminal commands, after doing "sudo apt-get update" in their instructions, you should be able to do:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install ufoai
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:48:18 am by Davren13 »

Offline Highlander4880

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:52 am »
It is working now. I have had added the repository of an older Ubuntu version. With the manual from the playdeb website it worked. Thank you for the hint.

The errors I got before:
Every way with "PlayDeb" leads to the following error message "http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ karmic-getdeb/games ufoai i386 2.2.1-1~getdeb2
  404  Not Found
" or "No connection, check your internet connection"

Best Regards
Highlander4880
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:14:12 am by Highlander4880 »

Offline Crashdown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:22:40 am »
I am having the same problem as Highlander seems to be having.

Keep on getting this

http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/pool/games/u/ufoai/ufoai_2.2.1-1~getdeb2_i386.deb 404 not found.

Anyone who can help with that?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:07 am »
2.2.1 is very old, I'm not surprised they removed it...

-geever

Offline Crashdown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:34:32 pm »
Followed the instructions and succeeded in installing 2.3.1.

Unfortunately it seems that after changing the resolution of the game it now crashes when I start it. Any ideas guys?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »

Unfortunately it seems that after changing the resolution of the game it now crashes when I start it. Any ideas guys?

Remove your config.cfg from .ufoai.

-geever

Offline Crashdown

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:00:06 am »
For some bizarre reason, with no action on my part other than about eight attempts to start the game, it now works just fine. Yay.

Offline redaxe90

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:26:28 pm »
I installed the game a couple of days ago and only got the blackout screen. I heard a bit of music at the start, but soonish it just froze and refused to continue any further.

I've tried everything suggested so far in this thread and nothing has changed in this regard.
I even went so far as to remove OpenJDK from the computer, installing SunJavaJDK in it's stead.
The most unusual thing about this all is that I had previously installed the game on my dinosaur AMD TBird 1GHz system 512MB RAM and a 64MB Nvidia graphics card and all is well there.

However on this much later machine, with much more powerful hardware, it completely refuses to comply with any of my attempts at running the game.

Any ideas?

Kind regards
Tomas

Update, I added the ufoconsole.log as well as the cfg files to this post, if someone can see any oddities within, since they are all new after the game crashed
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:39:20 pm by redaxe90 »

Offline redaxe90

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »
Well, I found out what had happened. Since I love to mess around with settings, my messing around with the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering caused the game to refuse loading properly. But I have to load the game in safe mode at the moment. It's entirely possible that I can run it without safe mode, but I'm still waiting to see how it performs now.

Those ask and answer threads around here give invaluable insight into what I've been doing wrong and I better start taking notice :)

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:09:02 pm »
I'm happy you could figure out the problem.
Should I mention that the JDK doesn't affect the game? :) It's written in pure C not Java. ;)

-geever

Offline redaxe90

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:30:58 pm »
I'm happy you could figure out the problem.
Should I mention that the JDK doesn't affect the game? :) It's written in pure C not Java. ;)

-geever
Damn, this makes me feel like quite the n00b that I am  :-[

I was under the impression that most games nowadays were written in either C++ or Java, but a good thing that the older lingoes are still in use.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
we do not use anymore asm to shaders :-)

Offline krytek

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 12:52:05 am »

change res ---> restart ---> game starts normally

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:20 pm »
change res ---> restart ---> game starts normally

yep - that is the solution ;)