project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Game wont run at all  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Rascal88

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Game wont run at all
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:35:45 pm »
I have an older version that I saved on disc that installs and runs just fine. With the 2.3.1 version the game wont load at all. I disabled all virus and firewall protections, downloaded and installed it. When I double click on the shortcut, it opens up the small window where it starts to load the game and there are various lines of text scrolling down. Suddenly and before I can read anything or click any buttons or options, the window vanishes and nothing happens. This happens over and over again no matter how many time I try it. I thought it may be my video card but the previous version works just fine being installed off a disc so I dont see how the new one could have a hardware conflict where as the last version didnt. If anyone has any ideas please let me know what may be happening or what I can try here. I only decent to fair with computers so my skills and understanding are a little limited but I can figure most things out, especially with a little help. Thanks in advance everyoe, hope to get this resolved and get back to playing with the new version...

Offline PA-First time

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Game wont run at all
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »
I have the same problem.
I downloaded and installed the windows 2.3.1 version.
When I launch the ufo.exe file,the console displays, a new window opens, and then everything immediatly closes.
I managed to take a snapshot before it closes (see attached).
Any idea of the possible fixes?

I have win XP, mediacenter edition, SP3

Offline PA-First time

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:03:48 pm »
I read the forum, and it seems that it could be related to graphic card.
Mine is ATI Mobility Radeon X300. If this is the problem, how can I update it?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really would like to have the opportunity to test this game.

Offline guessed

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
I read the forum, and it seems that it could be related to graphic card.
Mine is ATI Mobility Radeon X300. If this is the problem, how can I update it?
Same problem, same graphics card.

Update it through a rather convoluted process described here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265200-35-driver-mobility-radeon-x300-64mb

"you can try this, which I have done and does work. You can download Catalyst 9.3 as my last post, but don't run it straight away. You must check your .NET framework version. You must have at least version 2. If you have an old computer you may need to download and install that. Restart the computer afterwards (it doesn't tell you to, but people have reported problems if you don't). Then you can run the catalyst 9.3 installer program. For me, it still said it couldn't find a suitable driver, and the reason seems to be that you can't update the driver on a Dell using drivers from AMD/ATI but instead you are supposed to get them from Dell. To get round that, go to http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php and download the Mobility Mod Tool. Follow their instructions carefully (including installing MSXML 6.0 if necessary). This will modify the driver that the Catalyst 9.3 installer program has copied to your C: drive, so that it can be installed even on a Dell or other laptop where you are supposed to go to the laptop manufacturer. When you get to the end of the instructions, you will have installed your new driver. I did this and it works. However, the driver has been modified and no longer meets the WHQL certification."

I went through this process, successfully update the driver, and now UFO:AI opens and runs just fine.
Hope that helps you out too.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:34 am »
windib is no hardware accelerated driver - you have to install opengl drivers for your card.