project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Compiling on Debian/unstable  (Read 2848 times)

Offline VulcanRidr

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Compiling on Debian/unstable
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:42:30 am »
I downloaded the debs of 2.3.1, and after applying mattn's symlink fix, I was able to play...However, I had a terror mission (Xi'an -- Big city), and the scenario loaded, however when I entered it, my troops were in the drop ship, and I was unable to move or do anything. I aborted and reloaded a saved game, and went into the same scenario, and did it on auto. The game seemed to hang there and never completed.

So I decided to download the latest git repo, but I am running into issues. I got almost all of the prereqs, except for libjpeg62-dev. Current versions of Debian link a number of libraries (libdirectfb-dev libjpeg8-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl1.2-dev libsmpeg-dev libtiff4-dev) against libjpeg8-dev rather than libjpeg62-dev, and hence the packages above are all removed if you install libjpeg62-dev...

So what do I need to do to get it to compile?

Thanks,
--vr

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Compiling on Debian/unstable
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:01 am »
However, I had a terror mission (Xi'an -- Big city), and the scenario loaded, however when I entered it, my troops were in the drop ship, and I was unable to move or do anything.

It was a mapbug, it got a hotfix: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=5559.0
But 2.4-dev is more fun imho. ;)

So I decided to download the latest git repo, but I am running into issues. I got almost all of the prereqs, except for libjpeg62-dev...

I think libjpeg8 is just as good as 6.2. If the game doesn't compile with it we need to fix it.

-geever

Offline VulcanRidr

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:37:00 am »
It was a mapbug, it got a hotfix: http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=5559.0
But 2.4-dev is more fun imho. ;)

Excellent! Hey, 2.3.1 was a vast improvement, since last time I played it was 2.2.x...:) But what I got from the git repo was 2.4, correct? I just decided to build from source since I had issues (some unresolved) from the 2.3.1 debs.

I think libjpeg8 is just as good as 6.2. If the game doesn't compile with it we need to fix it.

What changes do I need make to get it going? (I'm a sysadmin, not a C programmer, for the record...)

Also, does the doing the git checkout -t origin/master get everything you need (e.g. maps and radiant) to get things going or do I need to get something else?

Thanks,
--vr

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »
But what I got from the git repo was 2.4, correct?
Correct.

What changes do I need make to get it going? (I'm a sysadmin, not a C programmer, for the record...)
I think geever means it should work with libjpeg8 if it fails post the error(s) so that it can be fixed.

Also, does the doing the git checkout -t origin/master get everything you need (e.g. maps and radiant) to get things going or do I need to get something else?
Only the sources, you need to compile the maps, or better yet, download them from the map server (make maps-sync), don't forget to build the language files, radiant is not needed to play but of course you can compile it if you want.

Offline Wh1sper

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:34:24 pm »
hence the packages above are all removed if you install libjpeg62-dev...

Thanks,
--vr
For me, --debian unstable -- it works there is only a warning because of libjpeg62 no error.
So simply ignoring this will be work fine.
libjpeg 62 is linked as I have verify with ldd ufo