Yes
0 (0%)
No
3 (50%)
You're a wimp, shuddup!
0 (0%)
What kind of medication are you taking?
3 (50%)
I'm a heart patient, and I had no problem once they upped my dosage!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: September 27, 2011, 11:10:04 am

Author Topic: Spawnpoints  (Read 2707 times)

Offline DrewfusMaximus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Spawnpoints
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:04 am »
I think that spawnpoints play a significant role in any game with players expecting to deploy thier troops in an orderly fashion.  To elaborate...

In the old game, we had a Skyranger that had one opening in the rear, with a ramp.   It was bad enough trying to get cover then, but now, we have no choice in the matter whatsoever.

My first encounter was an open deployment bay similar to a Huey, and none of the soldiers were inside of the craft.  The Tamans had line of site from the moment the first turn began, and my men were not armed.  I had no idea that trained solders acted in such a fashion.  It was a slaughter.

I learned quickly to arm my soldiers in the Geoscape\Aircraft\Soldiers\Equip Soldiers screen, which I found only by accident.

Now, I know that the original game had many different screens to manipulate inventories, and research and such... But the bottom line is: Did you really have to make it so difficult for the new player?

Scarry! But then, Quake was a scarry game, too. 'Course, I never played it in the dark, on Halloween, either...

lol

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Spawnpoints
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »
There are some combinations of map and initial deployment of soldiers that basically ensure that someone will die.  I don't think that's very nice. :-/

Generally one or two retries will get you a set of starting positions that won't prove necessarily fatal on the first turn for one of your soldiers, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »
To be honest, I tend to prefer the 'in each others' face' deployments.
Makes the whole thing go faster and keeps it from turning into a boring game of turn based hide and seek.

Offline ptbptb

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:34:13 pm »
To be honest, I tend to prefer the 'in each others' face' deployments.

I have nothing against 'in your face'.  It's when you have four or five aliens all facing you and one 'lucky' soldier gets hit by reaction fire from all of them if he fires, runs away or you try to move someone else in front of him.  Some combinations just end up with everyone picking on the same guy.

Offline DrewfusMaximus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
Right, It's very much like Hamburger Hill.  Even in Viet Nam, they didn't land right next to the enemy's position.  If they had to, they would make a landing zone using explosives, so they could deploy men with relative safetey.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Sadly, I doubt daisy cutting would be allowed for pretty much anything since there always seem to be civilians around no matter where you are.
And since you're supposed to keep he dumb fucks alive...

Offline DrewfusMaximus

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:41 pm »
...and that's not easy, but at least it gives you line of sight on Tamans.  Whenever I get close to a civilian, I seem to be in a better pos to take out the snipers.  Once, I even got a Taman with a Krell Blade that way (of course it killed the poor lady doing her grocery shopping!). :o