project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Tutorial Mission  (Read 1737 times)

Offline TheFury

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Tutorial Mission
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »
Hi!

I am aware that there is a Tutorial already, and I used it myself, but as a new player, I feel it would have been MUCH easier to adjust in a Tutorial Mission.

I think there should be a Tutorial Mission, and to ease into the storyline, it should take place in Mumbai, perhaps during the aftermath of the attack. The purpose would be to check the area for more Aliens, and to help the Citizens (keep them safe e.t.c.). As you enter the map, a tool tip or notification should appear, welcoming the player to the game, and pointing out certain things in the map (Alien ship, Citizens), the objective of these tactical missions and then the How to play stuff (how to move your characters, using weapons, using other items in your inventory, looking around (right click) e.t.c. - the basics which every new player needs to know to get somewhere!

In this mission, it would also be great to explain the HUD in some more detail. For example, I had no idea how TUs worked until a few missions into the game.

Thanks for reading this :P

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
Re: Tutorial Mission
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »
Oh like that idea.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure the long-term goal is to do an in-game tutorial mission. But at the moment we don't have the capacity to set up the in-game triggers that would be needed to explain things to the player.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:17 am »
We have misc_mission trigger to show message to player, but I don`t remember how can we translate that messages.