Technical support > Mac

bugs (in Mac version at least)

<< < (3/4) > >>

virag0:
Hi,
further playing around tonight and I realise that none of the troopers or NPC's in the tactical maps have heads
either.   They are all quite literally headless. 

Any ideas?

rachel

Sandro:

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Hi,
I have played with my 2.4-DEV PPC version for a couple of nights now.
Apart from the GL shading problems I noted the following bugs, but I am not sure if they are intentional, just not done yet or actual issues.

--- End quote ---

Guess I can give you some pointers here :)

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Second problem appears in the tactical maps.   If I shoot at an alien, there is no weapon sound, no "tracer" of a projectile and
no animation of an impact etc.    A flamethrower doesn't produce any flames or anything.  There's no indication of a hit
or anything - if I kill an alien, it will scream and die, but it seems there is something missing.

--- End quote ---

That's obviously a problem with a particle system, which is responsible for rendering tracers, explosions and such. Most probably, you have some problem with reading the .ufo files defining those particles.

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Reaction fire from an alien happens
almost instantly, so it looked like in many cases, I would line up a shot and click the mouse and the alien would shoot back
in the same instant, so it looks like my trooper shot himself!

--- End quote ---

That's an actual bug, and I'm constantly forgetting to report it :(

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Also, in the Credits view, there's  a collection of troopers, some great music and their names.    They are all headless warriors however,
so they look a bit weird.   Please supply heads for these brave troopers!

--- End quote ---

Again, heads are defined in .ufo files (unlike the models IIRC), so it's probably the same problem.

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Thirdly, as mentioned previously, the Save game slots do not display any text, but appear to save/load just fine in spite of a "save slot corrupted" message.

--- End quote ---

A some sort of generic text file processing problem? Remember, saves are zipped XML files, essentially, the texts. Maybe you have stumbled upon some sort of text-processing problem specific to big-endian machines?

--- Quote from: virag0 on September 23, 2011, 03:02:37 am ---Lastly,  enabling any GL features "not supported" will overload my G5, the fans kick in and the mouse cursor becomes very unresponsive.

--- End quote ---

Enabling GL shaders is a big performance hit as for now. Future optimizations should (and will) address this problem.

virag0:
Thanks for your input. 
How do I get these .ufo files onto my system in the right place?
I seem to have them in source tree but how do I set them up correctly?

I am running make macinstaller to see if it picks up the correct data.

rachel

Sandro:
./base/ufos/ and ./base/ufos/ui -- but most likely, you already got them there (considering your build is able to load maps and textures, which are also in the various ./base/ subdirectories)

virag0:

--- Quote from: Sandro on September 24, 2011, 10:15:19 am ---./base/ufos/ and ./base/ufos/ui -- but most likely, you already got them there (considering your build is able to load maps and textures, which are also in the various ./base/ subdirectories)

--- End quote ---

Soooooo,  in the hope of getting the exact answer..... ......what is the exact name of the files that contains the heads of the troopers and aliens, particles etc?

I have been through my 2.4 source tree and know I have a lot of .ufo files under the base directory.   
But I do not know what files are actually missing.     So this is why I tried to "git" the latest repo in the hope of getting the heads and instead going down the twisty little path into git-mania
which is in fact making me sick again with anxiety.

So given this is failing and I have an almost working game, to paraphrase a great philosopher - "can I please just have the heads"?  (and the particle files) and information
on how to make these appear in the game?

The 2.3.1 version seems well equipped with heads and particles etc......

rachel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version