project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Reaction fire  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Friendly79

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Reaction fire
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »
G'day guys..

i noticed the last post in this subject was a year ago so im hoping this has been solved,

it told me to start a new thread
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."
so here it is

im getting pretty much the same issue, no reaction fire at all.. this is my second mission and it has basicly broken the game..
its a terror mission, seem to be quite a few aliens for the 2nd mission, that's ok tho i like that.. but the are all held up on top of a 8 story building..
my men bail for the building instantly as hiding behind the barriers near the ship gets me killed from their elevated position.
i take up positions in the stairwell, 3 burst shots on the assuslts, 3 shot on the riot shotties and snap on my only sniper..
i lay here in ambush waiting for them, 1st one comes down the stair's, moves in line of sight for 2 squares turns and shoots 1 soldier dead,
then continues down the stairs in full sight of at least 3 others and comes to a stop staring one soldier in the face..
3 living soldiers, 3 different guns, all soldiers reactions setting on. and the alien took no less that 8 moves in full line of sight with not one reaction shot..
(i will add that after turning on their reactions i ended 2 rounds without moving anyone incase they needed a full round to set up..)

i did play 2.2 and i agree that reaction were a little op.. well maybe more than a little..
but this is downright unplayable.. sure i could keep playing and get somewhere.. but the amount of men sacrificed wouldn't be worth it. and losing my most decorated soldiers and reloading all the time will just lead me to lose it..

Please tell me there is a fix i havent found..
thanks in advance

Offline Hanny

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction fire
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »
Otoh Ai Aliens have effective reaction fire, so it may be your squad members lack the skill sets to use reaction fire.

Offline Friendly79

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:33 am »
from the little ive seen of 2.3 the aliens have fantastic reactions.. not over the top or anything..
but for my team to have none.. not a single shot after an alien walks 8 steps in front and to stand there givin me an eskimo kiss
thats a little unrealistic.. even a 12 year old boy would make a reaction shot in that time.. im guessing a trained soldier that knows he's dealing with aliens would have better luck

let me just say, this isnt ment to be or sound like a rant.. its just if this is how its ment to be, im just tryin to understand
How would a soldier survive long enough to get the reaction skill sets when its just random as to whether he will survive a mission..
the only way to promote that i can see is to send out the cannon fodder and leave the soldier i want to promote in the drop ship poppin out with sniper snaps each time some fodder goes down

Offline Hanny

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:10:23 pm »
from the little ive seen of 2.3 the aliens have fantastic reactions.. not over the top or anything..
but for my team to have none.. not a single shot after an alien walks 8 steps in front and to stand there givin me an eskimo kiss
thats a little unrealistic.. even a 12 year old boy would make a reaction shot in that time.. im guessing a trained soldier that knows he's dealing with aliens would have better luck

Realistic?, how many TU expended in a valid LOS represents how much real time?.

Appealing to realism is not the way to go, what you need to do is look at game data, and argue that increasing the reaction chance by inflating that skill over and above the others will produce, in game earlier use of reaction fire by player units. My guess is that by 100 missions in 2.4  you able to react quite reliably, so its also a question of game paceing for increasing stats.

Can i suggest you move over to the current 2.4, as it has increased player stats for units compared to 2.3, so you need fewer missions to increase to higher stats and so achieve reaction fire more often.
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2830.660

let me just say, this isnt ment to be or sound like a rant.. its just if this is how its ment to be, im just tryin to understand
How would a soldier survive long enough to get the reaction skill sets when its just random as to whether he will survive a mission..
the only way to promote that i can see is to send out the cannon fodder and leave the soldier i want to promote in the drop ship poppin out with sniper snaps each time some fodder goes down
Look at what your fighting, close combat and grenade oposition can be cut down at long and medium range, pistol at long range, so adjust your tactics to suit, manouver your ( i use a  2 times 4 man fire team of sniper and 3 Assault rifle) sniper at long range to achieve kills, while advancing Assault rifle armed closer but end your turn in cover/out of sight.
Enemy will target civilians first and you next, long range plasma pistol against your sniper will give them a poor hit ratio, close combat will attempt to close to combat, your sniper chops enemy ranged weapon while your screen of assault rifles steps into sight and fires 3 rnd burst if close or aimed shot in long range and then return to cover.
Try playing all with body armour, and if hit, retreat to safety, stay in hopital till fully restored, so you need a bank of troops.

Dont think or use your troops as fodder, and you will get units will high stats, but it will take a large number of missions to achieve.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:12:39 pm by Hanny »

Offline Friendly79

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:26:44 pm »
great advice all round there.. cheers.

just finished d/loadin the 2.4 and installing as i type.. i hear it has many other improvements as well.. cant wait to see it in a stable release, but as an xcom fan from way back im not gonna wait either lol..

so ill test this one out in the mean time..

Offline Hanny

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:43:28 pm »
Try the links Muton provided for 16June, that version is pretty stable.