project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOAI for Mac???  (Read 18998 times)

Offline Twenty-four

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
UFOAI for Mac???
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »
Hi everyone
For more than month, I try to start UFOAI 2.3.1 for mac, the STABLE (!) version of the moment. Because this version is always crashing at the start (as described in all the other recent topics in the Mac forum), I searched for solution in this forum. What I found were a lot of other frustrated users who have the same problem. What I didn't find even after long search was a statement of any developer or anyone else who really KNOWS something about it.

Now, my questions:
1. Has any mac-user been able to start the game?
2. Is there a solution that would be doable for some like me who has no experience with coding to play the game in this version? If not, why can't we download the latest really stable version (those of 2.2.x) anymore?
3. What is the future of this game for mac? Do we mac users have to wait for version 2.3.2 or version 2.4? Or will there be nothing more for mac users? Are developers trying to solve this problem or do they have too many other task to do?
4. Is there anything we mere mortals and not developer can do beside waiting and drinking tea?

Thanks for every response, especially if a developer would be so kind as to answer!

PS: Sorry for spelling mistakes or bad english... :P

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: UFOAI for Mac???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
that error is fixed in 2.3.2 - which is not yet available as binary download. but you can check out the git repo and compile on your own (no, you must not be a dev for this)

Offline Nash1992

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:08:21 am »
2.3.2 version for mac is fixed? Phew! With working sound and everything? I can't wait till it comes out! 2.3.0 had sound issues, 2.3.1 has crash issues, hopefully us mac users can finally experience the game what it supposed to be! :)

Good job, and keep up the good work! I knew that the UFO: AI team wouldn't let us mac users down!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:10:04 am by Nash1992 »

Offline Twenty-four

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:04 am »
I'm also really happy to hear this! Thanks!

Just one little question: Without wanting to be impatient, I would be interested to know when this version comes out... ;) Is this rather soon or do we have to wait for some months?

Whenever it comes out, thanks to every developer who is working on it (and also to the other developers)!

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:16:33 pm »
i will try to publish a pre-version for you - but i would need feedback from your side(s).

Offline Nash1992

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:11:12 am »
=D Count me in! So, for the feedback, are you also going to list bunch of questions we need to think about while playing the game, so we can give proper feedback?  :-\

Only problem is, I will only have time to play it during the weekend (Friday and Saturday).

If I am not picked as a tester, I'm cool with that. Like I said, only available on the weekend.
You should ask all the other mac users too, if they want to do the game testing as well. Someone who has more time on their hands.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:34 am »
it's only about:

is the game starting for you?
do you have music?

please always pastebin your ufoconsole.log

i will hopefully be able to upload the installer in the evening or tomorrow.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »
i'm currently uploading the installer - you will find it at http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ (~850MB once the upload is done - sorry for the size - it's no release build and thus not stripped to the needed minimum)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:51:54 am by Mattn »

Offline Damonicos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:29 pm »
Hi I just happened across your game and downloaded version 2.3.1A
When It finished downloading lastnight I started it up and Watched the Intro (With sound i believe) and played a mission with no issues that I recall until I tried to fly into another mission zone, the game stayed at the loading screen for about 10 minutes at which time i went to bed.
When I woke up game was loaded, so i have no idea how long that took. But now I am completely without sound and dont know how I can even get back to the intro to see if i still have sound there.
Also being a new mac user i havnt figured out how to uninstall and reinstall the game so i can see intro again.
Ironically. the last squad game I tried to play was Fallout tactics and the CD they sold in Canada was sent out WITHOUT the Sound Files!! DOH.
Anyways this looks like a great Game, Im hoping i can get the sound back, i really would like to get into it.

-Damon

Offline Twenty-four

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:17 am »
So, first of all, thanks Mattn!
I have downloaded the game and tried to start it. The good news: It started and it had sound. The bad news: After the loading screen, it crashed (perhaps problems with the video that should come, I don't know).
Here is my ufoconsole.log (hope it's the one you want) and the crash report which came after forcing it to quit.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:38:56 pm »
looks like a problem in the ogm video rendering, start ufo with ./ufo +set cl_introshown 1 please or edit your config.cfg (see wiki faq for the path)

Offline Damonicos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »
I have downloaded the Mac OSX version on your website and it Crashes on Launch everytime. Doesnt even get close to starting.
Could that be due to another version on my Mac at the same time? This one works, with minor bugs and no sound.
(UFO:AI 2.3 IA-32 Jun 17 2010 MacOSX DEBUG build 30554M)
My only current showstoppers for this debug version is 1st No Sound.
and 2nd Twice now i've lost 1 team member in a battle, and upon looting some grenades from the corpse the game Brings me back to just before the battle took place. (my member is alive again and dropship is back over Mission Site)
Hope this helps

- Im using OSX 10.5.8
I've also tried your 850mb version u linked but it failed to mount. =\
Is there a way to uninstall the game? I looked in "Application Support" folder but didnt see anything.

- Im not sure how to find my ufoconsole.log

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:11:38 pm by Damonicos »

Offline Twenty-four

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:03 pm »
I'm sorry but I don't really get it...  :-[

start ufo with ./ufo +set cl_introshown 1
I don't know what you mean with that or how I can do that.

edit your config.cfg
I find my config.cfg file, but I can't open it and I wouldn't know what to change.

Sorry, I've really no idea of programming language... If you could tell me how to do this, I will, otherwise I think I'll have to wait for the next release...

@Damonicos: If you want to find your ufoconsole.log, simply use spotlight, search for ufoconsole.log and take the latest one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:49:01 pm by Twenty-four »

Offline Damonicos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:03:55 am »
spotlight eh? hm no idea what that is either. I downloaded the 850mb dev version again. anyone get past the initial loading screen?
Im being teased by hearing the music now, but the game is hung up at the end of the loading bar.

Offline Damonicos

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 03:18:05 am »
I found cl_introshown 1 in config.cfg it was set to 1. i tried setting it to 0 but same thing. just hangs at then end of first loading bar.
btw in the debug version i have the sound Intro sound does work. just sound doesnt after that
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:20:40 am by Damonicos »