project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Attack dogs!  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Attack dogs!
« on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:50 pm »
I know what you are thinking! You think: Oh F##K NO! But still read this pleace!

First of all, i am fairly sure this will never be implimented, but i thought that aliens hawe 3+ species at theyr disposal UNFAIR! :D So how if we would add man`s best frend to fight for man???

Basically dog would be WERY fast unit ideal for scouting, (possibly capable of smelling enemies behind corners???) It would be significantly weaker than its human counterparts: (Plasmapistol hit would end its misery) And good melee fighter (though only against UNarmoured targets) It could possibly need a (dog quarters???) -room and would enable research of dog armor (although dog armor would only go as far as nanocomposite -They are just DOGS anyway!)

In general:

-Wery fast (40 - 60 TUs ???)
-Wery weak (50 - 65 HPs ???)
-Possibly capable of smelling enemies at a distance of 5-8 meters???) (small distance to keep it fair!)
-Powerful melee attack against unarmored targets, though useless as a combat unit on mid to late game.
-Capable of howling/barking/growling to scare enemies???

Some other animals instead/along with?????

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Attack dogs!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »
I have to say no to this, for reasons you already said: only actually useful in the beginning and even then in the marginal CQC battles and I think this job is better for a sniper (scouting from above and still being capable of killing them).

Ps. What do you mean "They are just DOGS anyway!"?! They're your allies in a battle!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:10:14 pm »
First of all, i am fairly sure this will never be implimented, but i thought that aliens hawe 3+ species at theyr disposal UNFAIR! :D So how if we would add man`s best frend to fight for man???

Make AND animate a model for it....

-geever

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:37:01 pm »
Well i don`t know how to make or animate models :-[ This was just a crazy idea i wanted to share...

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »
Well i don`t know how to make or animate models :-[ This was just a crazy idea i wanted to share...

No one knows how to make or animate models until they learn.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:37 pm »
No one knows how to make or animate models until they learn.

...And we have several buckets of crazy (or not so crazy) ideas from players that we can't do due to our limited resources (free time, knowledge). Contribute!

Well, I don't think attack dogs is a good idea, but help on every front is welcome.

-geever
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:41:28 pm by geever »

Offline tctranslation

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:57 am »
Waste time on some no gains NPCs is a silly thing unless you are full of trash time to spend like playing online games. However, I know that it is a common sickness like smoking or drugtaking.

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:01:42 pm »
NPCs??? I men`t the dogs to be controlled by the player... but this idea is dead s don`t bother reading this...    ...though the dogs would be good ammo mules for RL-soldiers and coilgunners...

Offline tctranslation

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:47 am »
Generally, NPCs is a synonym of some characters that can't be looted. So, the dogs will not be interested by both the aliens and your sides. Also, I think you may not require an ammo backup for a battle of facing 10 minus enemies and the mind control ability of aliens may turn your best friends to your worst enemies.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:34:33 pm »
Generally, NPCs is a synonym of some characters that can't be looted. So, the dogs will not be interested by both the aliens and your sides. Also, I think you may not require an ammo backup for a battle of facing 10 minus enemies and the mind control ability of aliens may turn your best friends to your worst enemies.

Since when have aliens had mind controlling tech/abilities?

Offline tctranslation

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:38 pm »
Since when have aliens had mind controlling tech/abilities?
It's an open secret that nobody want to admit(or you can consider that it was beginning from Dec-1993, the original X-Com's release date).