project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Give back my first-person view!  (Read 2696 times)

Offline minthaka

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Give back my first-person view!
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
It really doesn't make sense. It was really a unique feature of UFO: A.I. Please put it back. The game lost at least 25% of fun because of that

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Give back my first-person view!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »
At least! With a margin of error of 3%.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:20 pm »
My own equipment got 12% loss of fun, with 2% error margin. Maybe your equipment is over-sensitive?

Seriously though, it was very good for making sure there actually wasn't anything blocking the shot, the hit-% calculation seems unreliable at best when there's a bit of cover between the shooter and target. The FPV's removal wasn't groundbreaking but it certainly had its place and use.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:35:17 am »
this is open source - change it to your liking, but as long as i'm the project leader there won't be any first person view for this game, as it is just not designed for something like that.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
IIRC the 1st-person-view was a bit broken, and there wasn't much reason (or anyone willing to spend the time coding) to fix it.  I remember when I had used it and many things just didn't look right or display properly.

Rather than putting time into coding it to work properly - and maintain functionality when other things got developed - It just made more sense to simply drop it instead.

Keep in mind that this game's engine has been customized, altered, and modified so much from the original Quake II engine it came from that I would think putting FP view back in isn't likely as easy as flipping a switch, but would probably require re-working parts of the engine all over again to add in support for something that isn't really one of the project goals or intended features.  I don't know all this as fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.