project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Intereceptor running out of ammo  (Read 3068 times)

Ildamos

Intereceptor running out of ammo
« on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:19 pm »
^Subject.

It turns back to base, UFO chases it down, kablooey.

It's armed with a shiva cannon and two missile pods. How many rockets and rounds should I stock for it to engage a UFO in a protracted firefight? (ie without it needing to turn tail)

I'll post a screenshot here later if that scenario repeats itself.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Intereceptor running out of ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:26 pm »
With basic weaponry, one on one your interceptors can stand only against fighter UFOs. And even then, sometimes they just don't score enough hits to take it down. Against harvesters or even bigger...you need particle beams or very heavy support (more interceptors, SAM sites...)

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:47:55 pm »
A close range interception advice.You know nuking in MMORPG's? Tank and spank?

You can swarm them with 3 stilettos simultaneously with double targeting computers for each.If you are worried you miht lose one, for extra security, add Armor on one of the stilettos, keep the other 2 un-special armored. If you can make the armored one join the firefight a few minutes before the 2 enters engagement range(11% slower for armored fighter), the three +%50 accuracy salvos of AA missiles WILL bring down a UFO very quickly, and perhaps your MMORPG tank (the stiletto with armor) will only be scratched a little.

Of course, this will cost more than the UFO's worth in scrap to buyers, but whatever dents the alien invasion, not just your wallet.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:53:58 pm by XCOMTurcocalypse »

Ildamos

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I know the tank-dps combo. I've begun buying two stilettos for each base.

I'm still curious though: how many rockets can a sparrowhawk launcher accommodate? How about a rocket pod?

Offline DarkRain

• Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »
I think 7 missiles for the sparrowhawk rack and 12 rockets for the TR-20 (tough that was supposed to be 152 according to the wiki)

Ildamos

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 12:49:52 pm »
I just noticed the reply. Thanks Rain!