project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOAI wepaon?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
UFOAI wepaon?
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:55:54 pm »
after that thread about weapon precision, i wanted to know what weapon are we using in UFOAI, so i took a quick look at a game screen shot, its bullpup alright and looks very familiar but i cant figure out exactly which weapon is it or based on, anyone knows?   

(and i dont think its russian, even thou i am a conspirator at heart and seen the red USSR armor and the 3stats coloring that coincidentally looks like their flag  ::) )

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: UFOAI wepaon?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:52:03 pm »
ok i figured out which one it reminded me, but what do you think which of those real life variants looks the one we have:

1. Steyr AUG
2. SAR-21
3. TAR-21
4. Khaybar KH2002

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:12 am »
AFAIK it looks like Steyr Aug all right but it isn't actually it. Besides different cartridge (caseless P90's derivative), UFO:AI is far enough in the future that I doubt it would be the Steyr we have today.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:37 am »
really?! well i guess you are right it does look alike with the rails and the different barrel, i just cant shake the original version from my mind. if styer then i prefer a different weapon styer acr only a design thou.

btw guns today and 3 decades ago are not so different, mostly its improvement of the same ideas using better materials, in either case its dosent really matters we only speak about the hood not what beneath it...

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 10:46:07 am »
I don't actually know who made the AR-80 model and what s/he took as an inspiration but IMO it looks like Steyr AUG and ACR so it's safe bet at least one of them were an inspiration. However, UFO:AI can't have real life weaponry, so I doubt it is any actual weapon (though that ACR is very close).

Also, different cartridge. Most assault rifles use either 5.56x45mm NATO or the 7.62x39mm AK round. Our AR-80 (in correction to my earlier thought) seems to use the cartridge designed for the H&K G11.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:35:20 pm »
yeah but its nice to know about real life application, it gives the game imaginary setting more "credibility"

as for the ammo, i admit i dont know how caseless weapons work, but i am pretty sure that the big ass cartridge with only 30 bullets at the back means its not.
btw i followed that link, looks like the H&K has a new version development (although its an LMG)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 01:17:51 am »
as for the ammo, i admit i dont know how caseless weapons work, but i am pretty sure that the big ass cartridge with only 30 bullets at the back means its not.

Caseless means that the cartridge (aka round, the whole case-primer-propellant-bullet combo loaded into a gun) lacks the, usually brass, case, reducing weight and simplifying the gun's design (no need for the ejector cover to move unless one manually needs to load a round).
I think you meant clip instead of cartridge, correct?

btw i followed that link, looks like the H&K has a new version development (although its an LMG)

Realistically, our AR would most likely be a descentant of that research. Most likely not the LSAT rifle itself but it could be a derivative of it.