project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aircrafts' Particle Weapons - Missing feature \ bug ?  (Read 1536 times)

Offline PurpleCaterpillar

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Aircrafts' Particle Weapons - Missing feature \ bug ?
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:14 am »
This is sort of a revival to this post by Another Guy.

I wish to refer to his following points:

(b) Add some temporary (unlimited) ammo for Particle Beam Weapon...
I've noticed that aircrafts' particle guns run out of ammo (and fairly quickly, too).
This came as a surprise, since the weapon is described as having no ammunition, and as using electricity generated by the anti-matter driven engine.
So logically, as long as the ship can fly, the cannon is supposed to be able to shoot. Doesn't it?

Basically I'm saying that either:
  • Particle guns don't need ammo, hence never run out of it, as long as the aircraft can fly; or:
  • Particle guns should have a specific type and amount of ammo.

(c) Remove the -20% penaltys from Particle Beam Weapon...
Does the speed penalty result from the weight of the weapon, or due to it's "kick"?
  • It would seem that on such heavy aircrafts (the hull being made of "alien materials") the cannon's weight would be negligible.
  • The weapons' "kick" should probably be compensated for, by the engine (and advanced electronics, which the craft surely has).
    Even so, the weapon doesn't fire during the whole flight, so this probably isn't the source for speed reduction anyway...

So I agree with the OP: The penalty is too great.

(Unless this is a well-thought-of tweak for balancing - which I doubt, since it renders most interceptors useless as the OP had mentioned).