project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Intro Video (specific) planning thread  (Read 13652 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Intro Video (specific) planning thread
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 07:24:26 pm »
@Bartleby and mor2:

Some of your points have already been discussed, a few of your ideas are already in the full storyboard plan (both of you).  The example video done so far is just that - a quick test and only partial segment.

I'd suggest looking back and reading the whole thread, as well as the sticky topic where the whole thing started (which I probably should have included in this thread as well - The fact that I didn't is my fault).

That being said, I've seen a few ideas in both of your posts I might add the plan - The whole thing is still a work in progress and far from complete.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 05:45:54 am »
http://destructavator.com/92dl/Game_Intro_1.avi

OK, here's a very short segment with part of a new HUD that I'm working on.  It isn't finished yet, but if I were to continue something like this, would it work?

The thing on the right shows altitude, and the thing in the corner shows sensors/radar.

Keep in mind that this is for a craft some ~80 years in the future.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 07:35:45 am »
I like the new hud. Here's a building for your city in .obj format, with .bmp files (couldn't get 3dsm to read png and didn't take the time to figure out). If this works for your needs (resolution, format) I'll try and do a few more.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 07:47:35 am »
Thanks, this looks good, although for future obj structures please also include a material file with the textures.

In this case, the UV mapping is simple enough that I was able to re-map things and re-export in Blender.

I'll try this out very soon in Terragen 2.

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:23 am »
this hud is much better. i dont know if its easy to integrate, but here an other example inspirated by the added photo.
anyway. ure hud is already really good.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 09:02:27 am »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:09:28 am by mor2 »

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 09:39:29 am »
I dont think it is free according to the legal terms of the services. Google can do everything it want with the content from users, but external reuse is unclear, then it is not open source.

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
clause 8.2 of term of service:
For the avoidance of doubt, you may modify, distribute, and create derivative works of Content uploaded by other users in 3D Warehouse.

;D

EDIT:
btw this model with a little adaptation is bad ass stiletto 
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=326e859d86a8078427eb9e7911a17418&prevstart=12
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:06:45 am by mor2 »

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 10:26:49 am »
http://destructavator.com/92dl/Game_Intro_1.avi

OK, here's a very short segment with part of a new HUD that I'm working on.  It isn't finished yet, but if I were to continue something like this, would it work?

The thing on the right shows altitude, and the thing in the corner shows sensors/radar.

Keep in mind that this is for a craft some ~80 years in the future.

I think it would work. The crosshair looks a bit strange but I'm guessing that the unusual design is conscious.

Couple of ideas:
1. When the screen with the UFO appears, maybe have it zoom into that full picture instead of it appearing out of static.

2. For the wireframe screen, I think it would either have to go into the lower left where the UFO pic appears or replace the original radar screen (either the present one or the first video's).

3. I don't know if it was just for simplicity in the initial rendering but I think the UFO shouldn't be moving in the same direction as the Stiletto is going, at least initially.

Ps. Weapons look great now!

EDIT:
btw this model with a little adaptation is bad ass stiletto 
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=326e859d86a8078427eb9e7911a17418&prevstart=12

Frankly it looks a hell of a lot like our Stiletto - minus the capability to load very different weaponry without actually modifying the craft.
That being said, I remember that we could use a new model for Stiletto. IIRC, the present model is too small for most of the weaponry it's supposed to have. Too bad that one artist didn't finish his model.
But this isn't exactly right topic to discuss this.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:34:40 am by Hertzila »

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 12:24:10 pm »
That hud looks much better. Is it possible to add a light glow to the hud? :) Oh and the Radar should stop pinging as soon as it detects the enemy craft and keep the circle at the longest range and track the enemy as a red dot (like a normal radar in any other game). Consequently the small Stiletto icon should be a bit more smaller, it feels like the radar has a range of 10 meters. ;)

I updated the soundtrack so it fits to the new video. I also uploaded another soundfile - i added music to it to test how the vid sounds with music.

without music: http://www.mediafire.com/?9lvfifbpbrwjr7i
with music: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gjrvz0k95kgg3e
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 02:36:21 pm by Crystan »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 03:16:15 am »
http://destructavator.com/92dl/Intro2_a.avi

OK, these are a few more ideas put together, actually starting from the very beginning of what might be the whole video.  This is a clunky draft, still only goes about half-way through for the entire thing, has some parts that are too fast or too slow, and the space scenes especially will be re-done to look better.

I still need more models for the city scene, when the Stiletto fights the UFO, and a high-detail pilot and cockpit interior.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a short break from this as I've got other projects I've neglected that need a little more attention for a while (day or two), before I really get back into this.

Edit:  I've also got more work done on the HUD, but I haven't put it in this video yet.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:18:07 am by Destructavator »

Offline Bartleby

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 10:37:21 am »
every video is better, destructavator. just missing the little video of the ufo in the hud of the plane. liked that.

can or cant u write some english things on the video?
(best with in a typewriter-style *g*. not nice from me just to make suggestions, but i like ure work)
something like:
- when u see the earth and the ufo:
"earth 2084" or "year 2048"?
- when u see the snowy montains:
"Mumbai, year 2048, afternoon"

hm... or a translated intro like in starwars is needed.
is a later translatet textoverlay possible?
i know there was a discussion about that, cant find it and cant remember latest solution.

EDIT: wasnt the mainship in the orbit bigger?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:41:12 am by Bartleby »

Offline mor2

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »
http://destructavator.com/92dl/Intro2_a.avi

OK, these are a few more ideas put together, actually starting from the very beginning of what might be the whole video.  This is a clunky draft, still only goes about half-way through for the entire thing, has some parts that are too fast or too slow, and the space scenes especially will be re-done to look better.
looks good for only a  "clunky draft", looking forwards for the next prev   8)

I still need more models for the city scene, when the Stiletto fights the UFO, and a high-detail pilot and cockpit interior.
what the warehouse stuff didnt work for you? last time i used it with blender everything except the text worked perfectly(for some reason all the text on all models got screwed up)

or you need more specific examples? or ones with textures?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 01:52:57 pm »
btw. don't forget to talk to winter or btaxis about this - e.g. afaik the carries must be a lot bigger.

the interceptor must get a higher res model for this, too. and the flight above the mountains needs some camera movement, otherwise it's a little boring, no? maybe rotate around the interceptor a little bit and then go into the cockpit of the interceptor.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 03:07:19 pm »
btw. don't forget to talk to winter or btaxis about this - e.g. afaik the carries must be a lot bigger.

the interceptor must get a higher res model for this, too. and the flight above the mountains needs some camera movement, otherwise it's a little boring, no? maybe rotate around the interceptor a little bit and then go into the cockpit of the interceptor.

I've actually been waiting and hoping for BTAxis and Winter to comment, I'm not sure why they haven't said anything yet - I even left a PM for Winter over a day ago which he didn't answer - I'm guessing he's busy or occupied with something else at the moment (which happens, from what I know of him).  Hopefully within a day or so before I really get back into this one of them will help provide insight on where various parts of this should go, what should be changed in what direction, etc.

I also see plenty of good ideas from others here I might want to incorporate.

Bartleby also brought up a good question:  Are subtitles in an overlay possible?  Could they be displayed in whatever language the player uses (used with .po files)?