project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Need help please. (Linux)  (Read 4462 times)

alexjustdoit

Need help please. (Linux)
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:15:27 am »
I know nothing about coding and stuff so just tell me if this requires coding. I downloaded the linux installer and i got an applacating so i launched it and it said it was copying some files.andf after that all i had was a text editor. How do I install this game? Sorry but im a total newbie. Please forgive me.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:16:52 am »
What exactly happened? Can you describe step by step?

alexjustdoit

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:55:28 am »
Ok so i go to this website, i download the linux installation file, i double click on it (I configured my linuix to be double cick) it had 2 windows come up. A text editor, and a lite bar saying that it was copying some files, i wai until the progress bar is too 100% and it automatically closes and i still have the tet editor. Then what do i do.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 10:18:08 pm »
What is written in the text editor file? Perhaps try exiting the text editor? Try starting the game from the console by ./ufo?

alexjustdoit

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:18:53 am »
That console thing, didnt work. There is nothing in the text window. When its done doing the file transfer stuff, it freezes too.

Elbenfreund

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:22 pm »
well, im not shure if it helps, but given the lack of information it might be worth a try.
the text editor thing might be the result of some bad configuration so your desktop manager doesnt know if you want to run or edit the file... and does both options.

pls try the following:
1)download the single file to a place you can find with your console
2)open some terminal / consol kind of...
3)go to the dir the file you downloaded is located in
4)type "ls"
5)type "./name_of_the_file.run

now it should check the file integrity and open up some kind of install script afterwards, if not you might get some kind of error msg which you might post here...

thanks and good luck, eric

alexjustdoit

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 07:47:15 pm »
Thanks i will give it a try.

alexjustdoit

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 07:54:25 pm »
Nope, when i did that it just launched it and this time since i ran it for the third time and i had already made it copy files, itr deleted them. it says it was deleting the .run file but its still there. So nothing happened.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 10:07:03 pm »
Now that I think about it, that text edit might have been a terminal requesting root password... Or not...

Anyway, when you run the installer on the console it prints some information, possible some error messages to the console. It might help if you quoted them here.

Which Linux distribution do you use? Perhaps soon there will be packages for several distributions ready, so you will be able to try a more automated method...

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 06:44:07 am »
Try  "chmod +x file_name.run" and then running. Linux doesn't give activation keys to downloaded files.