project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New guy hoping to contribute  (Read 2087 times)

Offline HeadInjuredKeeper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
New guy hoping to contribute
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:26:26 am »
I played X-Com on the Playstation and after that struggled to find a version i could play on PC. I never could get one to work "right". So today I was thinking about the great game and did some Googling...thus I am here.

Right now my download is at 80%. I can't program, but will do what I can to help out...and play a ton!

What is the best way for a guy like me to help?

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
Re: New guy hoping to contribute
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:41 am »
Hi and welcome :)

First of all, *have fun*.

Secondly, skim the forums and the wiki and be surprised how some of you skills will match the project's needs ;)

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:11 am »
If you're looking to contribute it really depends on what skills you have. Can you write code, make 2d or 3d artwork? You can always help us find bugs as well.

The best place to start is the Contribute section of the wiki (link next fo Forum up top on every page as well). That will break down all the categories of development. See if there's anything that catches your interest.

Offline HeadInjuredKeeper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 02:05:15 am »
I've shot on a professional level (photos) for 17 years so I am a little adept with Photoshop and drawing. I say "little" because I am an old timer who still likes to do as much "in camera" rather than use PS effects.
Hehe oh the memories came flooding back as I experienced my first near wipe when I checked on a UFO just a little bit ago...
THANK YOU!

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 02:17:30 am »
If it's artwork you're interested in, you might take a look at the texture replacement thread. We've got lots of unlicensed textures we need to make GPL and this involves Photoshop work. You'll need to learn a bit how 2d textures are used to create 3d environments, though. The Artwork page says a bit about this from a more technical angle.

And in terms of learning, you might want to take a shot at mapping. It's definitely something learnable and will give you a sense of how all the different components of the game come together in the battlescape.