Technical support > Linux

Help. Ufoai 2.3 crashes after initial screen

<< < (3/3)

Cyber Killer:

--- Quote from: romanovzky on October 02, 2010, 01:26:32 am ---Well, I've worse than that in my eeepc and it runs, have you tried with desktop effects off?

--- End quote ---

You miss the point :-). This is not about the card performance.

In eee you got Intel GMAwhatever, with full opengl support.

totdragos has an old Ati GPU that's unable to use the properietary driver (Ati/AMD dropped support for every card older than HD2xxx some time ago), that's why he's using the open source radeon driver, which AFAIK doesn't support opengl to its full.

If totdragos would downgrade his xorg and kernel (not a good option) to the last version that's able to use fglrx I recon UFO would run fine.

Possible solutions: get new laptop (duh ;-P ) or wait for the next ubuntu release (10 oct), which will have a newer version of the radeon driver that maybe will have better opengl support.

Yes, I agree Ati showed it's users the middle finger by dropping support for older cards, but the new Radeons are just great (I got HD3850) ;-). Note the performance and compatibility of the open source drivers will get better with time (in 2D it's already better than the properietary).

totdragos:
I've installed Ubuntu 8.04. So far so good, meaning I've managed to get the ati driver
Now the glx gears shows, with visual effects set to high:

3655 frames in 5.0 seconds = 730.892 FPS
3714 frames in 5.0 seconds = 742.717 FPS
3715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 742.906 FPS
3715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 742.824 FPS
3715 frames in 5.0 seconds = 742.847 FPS
3710 frames in 5.0 seconds = 741.818 FPS

totdragos:
Last night I've installed ufoai 2.2.1 It runs fine, but it doesn't have skirmish mode, and I also was wondering if possible to install the 2.3 version on hardy?
Anyway, after reading your suggestions the most applicable in order to play ufoai was hardy 8.04 installation
Thanks again for your advices

Cyber Killer:
It is possible, but you'd probably have to compile it yourself + probably have to compile some of the libraries that need newer versions too. It's a bit of extra work, but it should be possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version