project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Aliens impaired by wounds?  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Lew Yard

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Aliens impaired by wounds?
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:46:49 am »
Had the following happen in a recent battle:

- Used IR, found a solitary alien (Taman, IIRC; it's fairly early, haven't seen anybody but Tamans and Ortnoks) in a farmhouse. He's facing a soldier that I have on the other side of the wall (fine, infravision; it's safe, with no windows or doorways on that side).

- Ran a soldier into the farmhouse point-blank range right behind the alien.  Four shots with a laser rifle showing 100%.  Each shot appears to hit the right tile, but alien (somewhat unusually for a Taman; if he was wearing anything heavier than medium armor, it wasn't captured afterwards) does *not* go down. 

- On its turn, the Taman does... nothing.  No attempt to escape, doesn't fire a weapon.  Which is lucky for the soldier, but unexpected.

- Soldier promptly kills the Taman with the next shot.

Is it that the alien was losing TUs with each hit and therefore not able to respond?  Could the alien have somehow expended all its firepower earlier?  Alien resigned to the idea that it was simply a good day to die?  Or was this an AI glitch?

It wasn't really clear to me whether I was somehow missing a target w/o cover in an adjacent square, whether the laser rifle just has highly variable damage, whether the armor was absorbing it all, or whether I'd actually burned through the armor and left a nearly dead, probably massively bleeding/screaming alien right in front of me.  I can definitely understand (and support) not showing reports like "alien Blah hit, -25 HP" or the like -- and in other situations it can definitely be unclear whether you hit at all -- but with such visibility here, some feedback on whether the alien appears to be laserproof and angry vs. almost dead seems appropriate.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens impaired by wounds?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:04:26 am »
Injured aliens can panic. Sometimes they go raging, sometimes they freeze or duck. Happens, especially if he's one of last aliens remaining.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:41:10 am »
IIRC there should be a message that says something to the effect of "Captain Alienpants has a mental breakdown". I don't remember if it was only in case the alien goes on a rampage or whether it also shows up when he crouches and starts weeping.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:04:09 am »
IIRC there should be a message that says something to the effect of "Captain Alienpants has a mental breakdown". I don't remember if it was only in case the alien goes on a rampage or whether it also shows up when he crouches and starts weeping.

I've only seen the message on the rampage -- when they freak out, crouch, and just hold their heads, I never see a message.

Offline oliphaunte

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:53:28 am »
You need to know when they're on a rampage cause otherwise they'll go crazy on you and shoot all your men before you even know it. When they're in a rampage, it's always best to get rid of them first before they can inflict heavy damages on you, because chances are, they'll have the most effect on your men if given the chance.

As for the crouching and scare thing, take a guess. Sometimes they'll just run away and crouch and hide, sometimes they'll just stay in one place to pray? Who knows? I know that it's also possible for them to still attack you and then retreat to a corner to cry, cause I've lost a couple guys thinking that the alien was too scared to do anything, when in reality, he killed some of them when I got careless and then ran away and crouched and hide. Kind of counter-intuitive, but that's just part of the game I guess...