Technical support > Linux

New to Linux -- Not Clear On How to Install UFO AI

<< < (2/5) > >>

Destructavator:
Hi, Exactly what distro and version of Linux are you running (and where did you download/get it from)?

Vantskruv:
I'm hijacking this thread a little. Self I'm using the Crunchbang Statler Alpha 2 AMD64 as OS, which is based on Debian Squeeze.

When installing the downloaded file ufoai_2.3_amd64.deb, it complains about missing the package nvidia-current. I can't find that package in my repositories. Where do I get that package? I've tried googling around but I cannot find it.

TC:

--- Quote from: Destructavator on July 15, 2010, 02:36:32 pm ---Hi, Exactly what distro and version of Linux are you running (and where did you download/get it from)?

--- End quote ---
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid). I installed an earlier version from files I downloaded from Ubuntu.com and later let Ubuntu upgrade itself to this version.

I should mention that I wasn't able to follow the instructions under "Building Debian Packages". Commands like "make deb" and "dpkg -i ufoai-tools[...].deb" fail, even though I followed all instructions up to that point.

-TC

tzzimy:
TC, I am using Kubuntu 10.04  and I am trying to compile it as well (running on both a laptop with nvidia 9600M and a virtualbox).
I will share any findings or errors I have when I am confident I can give clear descriptions of any successes/errors I have that have not been dealt with already on wiki or forum or google search.
Keep in there buddy!  8)

Alienator:

--- Quote from: TC on July 15, 2010, 05:35:57 pm ---I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid). I installed an earlier version from files I downloaded from Ubuntu.com and later let Ubuntu upgrade itself to this version.

I should mention that I wasn't able to follow the instructions under "Building Debian Packages". Commands like "make deb" and "dpkg -i ufoai-tools[...].deb" fail, even though I followed all instructions up to that point.

-TC

--- End quote ---
"dpkg -i ufoai-tools[...].deb" - I assume you replaced the [...] with the actual file name that was produced?
Did you install "equivs" and "devscripts" ? You need those in order to build the deb packages:
sudo apt-get install devscripts
sudo apt-get install equivs
Only then the "mk-build-deps" step will actually produce the ufoai-tools[...].deb package (is it in your current directory?). In any case, this is a short-cut to install dependencies. If you went through all the steps above you do not really need this.

Did the compilation steps passed without failing? If something failed, post the text so people can help you.
Also, run the ./configure again (or look at the log file) and watch the output for "no" results. Some are not problematic but perhaps you are missing some dependency.

Other notes I just remembered:
In Ubuntu libxvidcore4-dev is actually called libxvidcore-dev, so install that.
sudo apt-get install libxvidcore-dev
And this is also only mentioned in the notes and not the code boxes:
sudo apt-get install libtheora-dev
These are checked in ./configure so it is good to look at the output.

--- Quote from: TC on July 14, 2010, 07:51:44 pm ---Okay, I'll try it. I just wanted to double-check before I started. To a newbie, it seems very suspicious that I would need to work through a 12-step procedure just to install a program. After all, if it were really just cut-and-paste, wouldn't someone have made a script to automate it?

--- End quote ---
It is not fully automated because you install code libraries that are not specifically related to UFOAI. The proper "debian way" would have been simply releasing compiled deb binaries for 32bit, as the team did for 64bit. For some reason they didn't. I don't really blame them, but for major milestones releases I would have expected it. The up-side is that once you have the dependencies installed and you got tired of your current version, you can compile latest development versions to check all the new goodies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version