Technical support > Linux

New to Linux -- Not Clear On How to Install UFO AI

<< < (3/5) > >>

tzzimy:
AND ITS DONE! And yes it runs in Vbox!!! ;D Its slow on missions (maybe i need more resources) and no sound but that is something I will figure it out how to fix later.

TC:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

--- Quote from: Alienator on July 16, 2010, 10:18:00 am ---Did the compilation steps passed without failing? If something failed, post the text so people can help you.

--- End quote ---

Yes. Everything compiled without failing.

--- Quote from: Alienator on July 16, 2010, 10:18:00 am ---Also, run the ./configure again (or look at the log file) and watch the output for "no" results. Some are not problematic but perhaps you are missing some dependency.

--- End quote ---

Here is everything with "no" results:

checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for library containing stricmp... no
checking for SDL_mixer... no
checking for library containing CU_initialize_registry... no

--- Quote from: Alienator on July 16, 2010, 10:18:00 am ---Other notes I just remembered:
In Ubuntu libxvidcore4-dev is actually called libxvidcore-dev, so install that.
sudo apt-get install libxvidcore-dev
And this is also only mentioned in the notes and not the code boxes:
sudo apt-get install libtheora-dev
These are checked in ./configure so it is good to look at the output.

--- End quote ---

I installed those two things and they did seem to make a difference to the configuration. I also installed a couple of other things I saw mentioned -- something like texlib-latex-extra and another one called D-something. In any case, none of these made the application work. It still hangs when I run it.

-TC

edsepulv:
I think that the best solution right now for Ubuntu users that do not want/do not know how to compile the game is to install wine (is in the repositories) and then download and install the windows version. I have been playing this way with allmost any problems since V 2.3 was released. Sometimes it hangs when starting the game but yo just have to close the program and start it again. It also hangs for a couple of minutes after starting (you cant move the pointer) but just be patient, after a minute or two everything returns to normall and you can play. Nevertheless I suggest to save your game oftenly because it can crash ocasionally (for me just once since installing and playing every day). Cheers for the developers of this great game and also to the developers of Wine

TC:
I've taken a big step forward. I can now run the game with only a few problems. I was fooling around with several steps in the install process, and I'm not sure what I did that finally made it work.

Here are the problems that remain: 1) In combat, all soldiers, aliens, and civilians appear as dark silhouettes. So does my dropship (but not the aliens'); and 2) There is no sound in the video that played the first time I ran the game, and it completely froze once, requiring that I kill the window.

-TC

tzzimy:
TC i might know why you have sound or graphic problems.

1) Pls check steps how to install Pulseaudio (a simple google search will bring it up). You will need more help after setting it up bcs it does not work by default and you have to configure some things that someone new to linux will not know how to handle unless he is a very careful researcher-reader on how-to 's

2) Install latest graphic drivers either Nvidia or ATI. Even ubuntu's repository default current nvidia binaries have issues and it took me 3 hours to realise that on my desktop build until i re-installed properly over the ubuntu's repository binaries (including dev files) the latest from nvidia.com. After that everything runs smooth now, including ufoai.

Although the guide in wiki is SPLENDID, FANTASTIC, AMAZING, it lacks some support on how to deal with common problems  for required packages. I will try to help on that as much as i can with a small guide for the common issues I faced and enrich it with other new-to-linux people experiences.

TC try to find me on irc.freenode.org-->#ufoai channel. I am always online there on tzzimy nickname so I can help you with your sound and graphic problems! :)

Cheers,
Tzzimy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version