project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Air combat: range and out of ammo quirks.  (Read 4041 times)

Offline jesper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Air combat: range and out of ammo quirks.
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:40:34 pm »
Hi all,

I have been playing the 2.3 on Linux for about 6 hours and are frustrated, and confused, by the way air combat works. I hope this post will clear up which of the problems are bugs and which are misunderstandings on my part.

I have a Stilletto and an Saracen fighter on different bases, i use these for interception. I have equipped them with Sparrowhawk and SHIVA weapons, 2x Sparrowhawk in the Stilletto. When i attack ufos my fighters fire the sparrowhawk missiles and then return home "Out of ammo".

I think the figthers should instead proceed to use the SHIVA since that has plenty of ammo, but it returns home. I realized that the problem could be caused by the range of the Sparrowhawk is "2" and the SHIVA "1". The pilot uses all range 2 weapons and then cant use the SHIVA because the ufo is out of reach. If this is correct, then is suboptimal behavior. The fighter should simply move toward the target until it is within reach.

I found this problem late in the game because the initial ufos were shot down by the sparrowhawk. And the figthers where therefore not out of ammo. At least it didn't seem to happen at first.

I tried using the rockets that have range "1" in combination with SHIVA instead. Here the range matches and it seems to work. But when the attack starts the game uses 100% CPU until the fight is over, and the game seems to run somewhat slower afterwards, but does run.

Am I somehow doing something wrong, or are these general problems?

Thanks,

Jesper

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Air combat: range and out of ammo quirks.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:56:10 am »
I have a Stilletto and an Saracen fighter on different bases, i use these for interception. I have equipped them with Sparrowhawk and SHIVA weapons, 2x Sparrowhawk in the Stilletto. When i attack ufos my fighters fire the sparrowhawk missiles and then return home "Out of ammo".

Please upload your savegame so I can confirm it easier. I'm not quite sure that your shiva was full.
The airfight is not yet done, what you see is temporary, and maybe confusing, yea..

-geever

Offline jesper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »
Ok, I have attached a game where a ufo is approaching a base with a Saracen.
Send the Saracen after the ufo and it will return out of ammo.

Jesper

Offline Kobold

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »
Ok, I have attached a game where a ufo is approaching a base with a Saracen.
Send the Saracen after the ufo and it will return out of ammo.

Jesper
ROFL are you joking? a saracen bomber not even equip shiva's.  he used only rockets btw use search command... i asked in a other tread about saracen bomber already... that bomber shoot his rockets in 2seconds and he fly back to reload.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »
ROFL are you joking? a saracen bomber not even equip shiva's.  he used only rockets btw use search command... i asked in a other tread about saracen bomber already... that bomber shoot his rockets in 2seconds and he fly back to reload.

He can equip shiva on saracen too (1 shiva, 1sparrowhawk for example), I'll see later...

-geever

Offline jesper

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:28:21 am »
Hi,

Playing a bit further I think the problem is that all weapons are fired pretty fast. When that does not bring down the ufo it is correctly out of ammo.

So my weapons are not powerful enough, could simply be the problem. I am researching aerial laser, I think that could solve my problems, laser rifles certainly kills the aliens on the ground.

btw, when are the linux 2.3 coming? I don't want to build all maps so I use the python script for downloading.. But there are version mismatches on some of them. Well that's another post.

Thanks for a great game

Jesper