project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A few questions from a beginner  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Indie Winter

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
A few questions from a beginner
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »
Hey there. I've recently downloaded UFO:AI, great game, having a blast with it. I do have some questions though, and I didn't seem to find the answer to them in the the game, so I'll post them here.

1) How can I research captured UFOs? When I get them on the research screen it always says "object is unavailable for research" and I cannot do anything with it. Do I need a special facility, or to research something else first?
2) How many UFO Storage sites do I need? Currently I have just the one, but should I have more around?
3) What do the IR goggles do, stat wise? I understand they lower your soldiers' accuracy, but what benefits do they gain instead?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions from a beginner
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:20 pm »
IR goggles allow you to see through walls to limited extend.

UFO yards...depends, I have two, it's up to you. Hint, do not store EVER more than one fighter and scout for research, all space will be taken by undamaged harvesters from terrors.

And for tech tree...it goes Alien Origins>UFO theory>UFOs themselves.

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:33:53 am »

Concerning Ufo-yards (2.3 stable) :

I read like everywhere on this board that your yard should be as close to the base of disassembly as possible to speed up the process.
Also, some people were writing about needing a Hangar to disassemble ufos.

Now I got to the point of finally taking apart my first ufos and none of that seems to matter:

- One base half across the globe from the yard indicates the exact same amount of time for disassembly as the other base which is right next to the yard.
(Relative to amount of workers employed: 20 workers right next to the yard need 1100hours to take apart a scout, 40 workers 20.000km away will need 550 hours.)

- When starting disassembly I am not asked to provide hangar-space to do so.
The bases do have hangars, they are currently used by aircraft though.

Any hints on that?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:21:10 am »
Concerning Ufo-yards (2.3 stable) :

I read like everywhere on this board that your yard should be as close to the base of disassembly as possible to speed up the process.
Also, some people were writing about needing a Hangar to disassemble ufos.

Any hints on that?

UFO Hangars are the past. You needed them to hold and disassemble UFOs in 2.2.1 and earlier. No hangar needed for disassembly.
The distance penalty of disassembly was disabled in 2.3 because you can't yet transfer stored UFOs and without transfers it would not be fair.

-geever

Offline Ufanatic

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:33:54 am »

Thanks geever.

Here I was planning my whole baselayout strategy according to those hints.