project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Stun Rod  (Read 6121 times)

nsnipe

Stun Rod
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:30:24 pm »
Hi i'm new in forum, but i've been plain' UFO:AI for a month now. I'd like to suggest an idea: As stun rod is reasearched right after alien breathing aparatus it'll be logical that it (stun rod) would disable or suppres alien breathing like gas granade. It coud release some kind of EM wave to disable breathing aparatus. Also i dont like size, and model. Now it looks like RPG. It could look like some kind of pistol or smth. Second- it would be nice to implement kind of catcher with net. I could make some models for stun gun and "catcher".

Offline Redtide

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Stun Rod
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:44:11 pm »
I would like to add on that the Stun Rod is a pain in the butt to equip. You should consider scaling it down.

Offline zulu211080

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Stun Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:00:18 am »
Hi.

I`ve been a fan of the X-Com series since the game first came in 1994. Played all the expansions and new versions of the game until about 2002.

Started playing UFO Alien invasion now, and a couple of questions comes to mind.

Why can`t I buy either a stun rod, gas grenade, flash bang grenades or stuff like this, to stun live aliens? Do I first have to research all the alien corpses, then research the weapons, or am I a victim of a bug in version 2.3?

Kind regards
Zulu

Offline Crystan

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • UFO:AI Lead Sound Artist
    • View Profile
    • http://crysea.cr.funpic.de/
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:51:48 am »
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
You have to research the Alien Breathing Apparatus before you can produce a stun rod. Wouldnt make any sense to catch a alien when you cant keep it alive. ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 10:04:42 am by Crystan »

Offline morse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »
I'm in a loss too: I understand the gameplay logic (first - keeping aliens alive, then - capturing them), but I don't understand the game mythology. How men will know that aliens are to die in our atmosphere in a few hours, before they research this breathing apparatus? Nothing on field is suggesting that: aliens are walking, shooting, and dying not because of asphyxiation but because of being shot. The desire of capturing an alien must be independent of the real capability of keeping them alive.

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »
I think this may have something to do with the fact that aliens can't die when they're in "prison". Or at least I haven't noticed. When devs implement that, they could make it so that you get Stun Rod after autopsing a couple of the aliens but unless you research their breathing apparatus they'll die in 24 hours (IIRC that was the number given in the wiki).
Or it might be that they're unwilling to research Stun Rod but when it becomes apparent that you can't attack them with simple gas attacks the need for live specimen simply get's too high and they do the desperate: attack aliens with melee weapons (this was kinda implied since it was your head of biolabs instead of research who made the request and he specifically mentioned that "Now that we know how to keep them alive in containment, our lack of specimens is becoming a serious impediment to our biological and chemical research.").