project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Military Philosophy  (Read 4997 times)

Offline silverfox14

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Military Philosophy
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:38 am »
Ive read up some of Karl Von Clausewitz, The author of "On War", "The Art of War" by sun tzu & "Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi plus some of Machiavelli's "The prince" and wondered how much of an influence these writings have on your story line and game design?
If not then I would like to suggest "the Art of War" as my favourite which I read up on playing Xcom Apocalypse. I went from quitting the game >:( to finishing in 3 to 6 months :) I recommend chapter 4 To understand the risk to reward ratio that needs to be modelled better in the game ;)

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Military Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »
Based on analysing the overall plot, I'd surmise that little to no inspiration has been drawn from the above-mentioned works... Which is rather sad.

Is there something specific you had in mind when you popped the question? What exactly is it you're suggesting game-wise (i.e. aside from a lecture list)?

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:28 pm »
(Chapter 4 of art of war): http://www.sonshi.com/sun4.html

Silverfox14 can you give a small example how you think something should be changed in-game right now to be closer on the "spirit" of the book?

Very very interesting approach.

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:44:50 pm »
(Chapter 4 of art of war): http://www.sonshi.com/sun4.html

Silverfox14 can you give a small example how you think something should be changed in-game right now to be closer on the "spirit" of the book?

Very very interesting approach.
Thanks for the link. ;) To what approach are you referring, exactly?

Offline tzzimy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:32:17 pm »
philosophical ;D.
But as a genuine engineer I need a hard practical example for better implementation of this theoretical model ;D

Offline LuckyLindy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:41:37 pm »
philosophical ;D.
But as a genuine engineer I need a hard practical example for better implementation of this theoretical model ;D

That's the problem with engineers. ;)

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 05:01:57 pm »
That's the problem with engineers. ;)
Problem?! I really don't see any problems in there... Maybe because I'm an engineer myself. :)

I guess the practical approach would be to find the answer to this question: " How do you beat an unbeatable opponent? "