project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Current Implementation of Storyline  (Read 3390 times)

Offline TheTinyToon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Current Implementation of Storyline
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing the 2.3-dev for the last couple of months and wanted to share some issues I see with the current implementation. First of all - awsome game, awsome storyline - totally keeps up with commercial games.

Now, I've been playing the game through to roughly the spot, where I am able to deconstruct alien ships (took me about 25-30 hours I'd say). To that point, I had four bases with (in total) 5 full research facilities and 5 workshops. When I basically fought through a whole month without anything new happening, I got really frustrated and started to just skip whole months or weeks without doing anything, skipping a total of 6 months with only minimal gameplay, as there wasn't anything new coming up. I then had to do some missions, because the other nations would break away and I'd loose the game else. After fighting some of those (and getting frustrated again), I started to cheat my way through and enabled all research projects (I had about a dozen left to research).

So, for the current state of the game, I'd say that there are too many alien races revealed at the beginning, so that there isn't much new material really "doing something" left to reveal during the later phases (I know the game is not complete in terms of storyline implementation yet). I'd suggest to link the important events in the game (as pointed out in the storyline threat) more prominently with something new in the gameplay and not relying solely on the story to be read.

Best Regards,
TTT

Offline NicAdi

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Current Implementation of Storyline
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »
Forgive me, but the storyline is *WAY* too far from being "awesome", as you put it. It'll take a HUGE effort to make it "decent", and even more for "fair". "Awesome" is not even in range yet... :)

Offline Hertzila

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Current Implementation of Storyline
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:53 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing the 2.3-dev for the last couple of months and wanted to share some issues I see with the current implementation. First of all - awsome game, awsome storyline - totally keeps up with commercial games.

Now, I've been playing the game through to roughly the spot, where I am able to deconstruct alien ships (took me about 25-30 hours I'd say). To that point, I had four bases with (in total) 5 full research facilities and 5 workshops. When I basically fought through a whole month without anything new happening, I got really frustrated and started to just skip whole months or weeks without doing anything, skipping a total of 6 months with only minimal gameplay, as there wasn't anything new coming up. I then had to do some missions, because the other nations would break away and I'd loose the game else. After fighting some of those (and getting frustrated again), I started to cheat my way through and enabled all research projects (I had about a dozen left to research).

So, for the current state of the game, I'd say that there are too many alien races revealed at the beginning, so that there isn't much new material really "doing something" left to reveal during the later phases (I know the game is not complete in terms of storyline implementation yet). I'd suggest to link the important events in the game (as pointed out in the storyline threat) more prominently with something new in the gameplay and not relying solely on the story to be read.

Best Regards,
TTT

This game is still WIP (and it might never be called finished anyway) and the balancing all across the board is off. Things like campaign speed are most likely not yet final.
How far are you in BTW?

Also, call me grumpy nostalgic old guy but I'd consider UFO:AI superior to most modern commercial games, not just keeping up with them.